Sunday 16 December 2018

What a week it has been!

I know it is a week since the last newsfromjude and I have had a couple of reminders, and even my mother said she had been checking. I almost posted earlier today, but decided that I really needed to finish that reverse stitching, unpicking job that I had to finish, and as of just now, I can say it's done!! Now for a good press to remove the stitching holes, and it will be ready for a requilt. I am not sure just how many hours it has taken me, but I have watched about 12 episodes of Downton Abbey on Netflix, which was a good distraction.

When I last posted I was waiting for the arrival of Miss Billie and her mum. They drove from Melbourne and spent one night here before driving further to Adelaide and spent the week visiting family and friends.


After they left on Monday, I drove to Keith for a dentist appointment and a car service, both jobs that it is good to have done.

On Tuesday, I loaded this quilt, which is still on the machine, and will be for a few more days yet. I am hoping for some inspiration. And you can see a couple more hanging behind, that I am hoping will "talk" to me soon.


On Wednesday, I decided it was time to work on some Christmas preparation. Especially because we were having our family Christmas dinner the next evening!! This mostly entailed making a huge supply of biscuits and packaging them up for the families. I had previously decided that I was not buying the children presents this year. They all seem to have rooms filled with "stuff" and don't really need for much. So I put some money into a card for each family so they could go away for a short holiday, or go to a show, or some sort of family experience. Maybe this was taking the easy way out, but I had thought long and hard about it, and think they might remember this more than a gift they didn't really need or want?? What do you think?


I even made 2 fabric books, one for Miss Billie, and one for the new baby, who is coming very soon.


So on Thursday I drove to Adelaide to meet up with all my children and grandchildren for Christmas. Have a few photos to share.





I thought it might be fun for the grandies to wear the new hats I had purchased for the Christmas in July, but Miss Billie's was a tad large for her head, and Miss Bridie decided she didn't want to wear hers!


It was also a good opportunity to take some family photos, as it's not that often that we all get together at the same time.

DD1 and family...........



 DD2 and family.......


DD3 and family.......


                                                                     DS4 and family.


.................................and of course Jude and her children.





The weather turned rather windy, wet and stormy during the week, so our planned barbecue dinner was cooked outside, and eaten inside. After a lovely meal, and the exchange of gifts, I headed for home, and arrived home just after midnight. I will admit to a late start Friday morning, when I spent the day with Max.

I spent some time in the garden on Saturday, while the ground is damp, as I had a few seedlings to put in. Then some more time with Max before getting ready to welcome back the Melbourne family. This time they had Billie's dad with them, who had flown in on Thursday. After spending the night here, they departed this morning for home. It was then time for me to head off to church, and since then I have spent time bonding with my unpicker.

I sort of feel like Christmas has been now, although I have not done any Christmas cards yet. Might get to that this week sometime, and we still have a Christmas gathering with my side of the family, which is on Boxing Day, and I have a few gifts to purchase for that. But mostly its time to spend with Max and get a few quilts out to some patient people.

Now it's time for bed, and the newsfromjude is all up to date!

Blessings, From Jude

3 comments:

Sue SA said...

My boys appreciate a little cash at Christmas from their grandparents now they are older. I tend to help my Mum pick out presents for our boys, so they get something they want and she thinks is appropriate/in her budget. We have cancelled Kris Kringle on my side of the family as we were all over "stuff" too! And on hubbys side we are chipping in to buy professional family photo session of the whole family....not sure about the logistics of this, but going to try! Lovely to see some shots of your family and glad everyone was able to come together.

Linda Steele said...

Merry Christmas Jude, I loved the family photos. I just love it when the whole family gets together and those grandchildren make Christmas so special. xxx

Susan said...

I think your idea for the presents is just perfect. The money will provide an extra family memory they might not have otherwise, and there are never enough of those! And who can resist cookies? I very much like the border on the quilt that's on the machine. I'm sure it will speak to you soon, if it hasn't already.