For awhile now I have been wanting to do something about the storage space along the brick wall in my studio. Most of this was taken up with our Angels fabrics that have been donated for our local group, which we use to make quilts for others. Over time, a "hotch potch"of different storage containers had developed. I decided that there had to be a more efficient method, and after talking to my local builder, we ordered some metal shelf units. I contacted him early Tuesday morning asking when they might arrive, so that I could schedule my time. He replied straight back, saying he could do it that afternoon!!!!! Whoa, I said, a lot of STUFF needed to be moved first! OK, he said, how about Wednesday afternoon? I said OK.
I actually forgot to take a before photo, but have searched the photo files and found a couple from earlier this year, which clearly shows how it WAS.
This shelf unit was relocated to another corner of the room, but that meant that I had to shift STUFF that had been in this corner, which then had to be relocated. And that seemed to happen everywhere, and the whole week has been spent reorganising the whole room, and not just the brick wall!!
Just after that, one of the "angels" arrived to look at some fabric, and I explained what was about to happen. She asked if I needed a hand to move some of the STUFF. Moving it all did not take long, but resulted in what looks like chaos. I had to move the things that were normally stored on and under the cutting tables. All this prevented me from using Max. Add to this, the fact that in 2 days time it was Angels day. It was probably at this stage that I felt rather daunted, and did phone another "angel" to see if she could spare an hour or two. It was still Tuesday at this stage. And I had sent the photo below to a friend who lives 3 1/2 hours away, just so she could have chuckle, as this lady is the queen of organisation and clearing out things, and even to the bins! (I have to admit to being more of
Before the shelves were constructed, I went down to the local cheap shop and found some plastic containers to put the fabrics in, and they turned out to be "made to order".
Before I knew it, there were 3 local "angels" on deck to start putting fabrics in the tubs. They did an amazing job by the end of Tuesday afternoon, and things were ready for the guys to come on Wednesday.
But the big surprise of the day was a phonecall from my city friend to say she was on her way to help!
On Thursday it was Angels Day, and there was till plenty to be done. There were 5 drawers like this one, that were used store cut squares, and strips of fabric. But over time, they had become very disorganised. And as the shelves were taking their place, they had to be sorted. And we had to fit everything we needed into limited space. Much of this was donated to other places to be used.
Time for a cuppa on Thursday.
And this is how the Angels shelves looked at the end of this week.
Building the shelves, has led to relocating the shelf unit, and better storage of my backing fabrics. Much tidier than it was.
Then it was time to move the stationery on the shelves so that I could resort the other corner. And here is a special lady who was going through all my own scraps of fabrics!! She came on Tuesday, and stayed until Sunday morning, and an amazing transformation has taken place. It would have taken me weeks to do what we have done this week. And it feels so great to feel much more organised. In the process I have also recycled a lot of STUFF and filled the bin as well.
............now looks like this.
My rulers are now hanging on the wall, right alongside the cutting table.
And this is the brick wall today, and I still have space to fill!! I do have plans for this new area of mine.
Thankyou to all those who helped in any way this week. I think the angels will be much more productive now that we can see what we have and it has all been sorted. And I know that I feel so much less stressed having some of my space more organised. I could not have done it on my own, and feel very blessed to have such good friends.
I have managed to fit in some customer allover quilts, and even quilted 3 angels quilts during the week. Tomorrow there are more lined up ready to do. Today has been a day of rest, and much quieter, and I managed an afternoon sleep after church, and did a little bit of desk work later this afternoon.
Blessings, From Jude