Monday 17 December 2018

First pickings............

Out in the garden this morning, I was doing a bit of watering, and checking things out, and I noticed that one of the beetroot was ready to pick! I pulled it out and another smaller one also. Some of the spinach and the bok choy are going up to seed, so I picked a few leaves from those as well, to eat with my lunch.



I did not realise it at the time of purchase, but the beetroot seedlings, were a mixed pack, and included other colours. The small one that I picked shows up as a pink and white stripe, and it was very tasty.


I was chatting to a friend this afternoon and told her I had picked the first produce, and she commented that it hardly seems long since I planted the garden. So that got me a bit curious, and I have gone back to the photo files to see when I took the first photo, shown below...........

.....this was the end of October, and it's not all dug up yet......


....and this is the 12th November, and just planted.......


 That was only 5 weeks ago, so I had to go out to the garden and take some photos that show what it looks like now..................this is the patch to the left of the old used carpet path (which makes a great weed mat)......


and you might notice that there is still a patch on the top side, to be dug up yet.....


 ........this is the zucchini, down at the end of the rows...............


..........................and this is to the right...........


This photo was taken at end of October, when DS was here doing some jobs for me, and he cleared that area .......


....and this is my bean patch in that same spot today.


I think that maybe there has been a lot of dirt moving, and digging happening here in the last couple of months, don't you? I was surprised that it has been less than 2 months. While the tomato plants look good, I think I might be waiting quite awhile yet before I pick any fruit.

While I was out in the garden this evening, I took a few other photos....
of these hollyhocks which have grown so tall, but are easily blown over in the wind we have had, so I had to tie them back............

...and this creeper is a pretty picture in the corner peeking out from the tank.....



....and this is my dahlia garden, which was planted early in November, and has lots of buds on them.



Looking back at recent posts, there seems to have been lots of different things happening here, so maybe there is starting to be a balance in my life? And I see that it is time again for another quilting blog, which will happen very soon.

Blessings, From Jude






3 comments:

Sue SA said...

Your garden is looking good, all the better for the rain? We had 40 mm here on outskirts of town, the farm had a bit more. So no harvesting for a while, hopefully they can get stuck in later this week. I planted some dahlias for the first time but they are slow to come up, just tiny at present, but I have high hopes!

Jean McGee said...

The garden is looking great, it's good to pick the produce and cook for a meal. I plant mine in large tubs, so good picking herbs, beans and Beetroot to cook with.
Love, Jean

Susan said...

Wow, that is amazing growth in your garden. All the right conditions are available for it. I know the tomatoes I plant usually are 75-85 days to harvest, depending on variety, and sometimes it seems to take longer, so I don't get too many some years. Your flowers are so pretty! I look forward to seeing the dahlias all blooming.