Sunday 2 December 2018

Art Deco

I recently received the following quilt to do, with the instructions for Art Deco quilting. Well, I needed to educate myself in what exactly was Art Deco quilting, as this is the first time I have had to do one. So what to do, of course,ask Mr Google! I found lot of Art Deco quilts, but not many that I could see the quilting on. And a search for Art Deco quilting patterns came up with not much either. Thankfully I have a good friend who set me on the right path, and she said search for Art Deco line drawings! Thankyou Michele. 

It was obvious that I could not fill that empty space with feathers which would have been my first instinct. This is the quilt, hanging on my wall, where I hoped it would talk to me.


The following few photos show you what I did. You might need to click on the photo to enlarge it to see better, as the light was not really good that day for photos, and the quilt is rather large.


That empty cream space ended up with a linear design, which fitted the Art Deco theme.


 I was rather concerned about this border, and what to do. I did have some Art Deco type border pattern ideas, but did not want to take over the fabric pattern, so I ended up just following the fabric design for the quilting. I am so glad I have my freehand skills that I learned in the days before computerized quilting, so that I can combine the best of both worlds.


And again, I followed the lines of the fabric design for the quilting.



 This quilt was made for a shop window display, (before it goes to it's owners home), and on the way home from Melbourne I stopped to take a photo of it in the window. But all I could get was the reflection in the window.


Thankfully the shop owner, Jennifer Meek, had taken photos at night, and here you can see it hanging in the window with the Christmas decorations.



If you ever drive through Nhill on the highway between Adelaide and Melbourne, this shop is worthy of a look. I have photographed Jennifer's business card for details. As well as some gorgeous items in the shop, she has lovely patchwork fabric in the back, including a lot of bolts in the $13.50/metre range.



 I will be back with more quilt photos soon,

Blessings, From Jude

2 comments:

Michele Hill said...

You did an amazing job on that quilt Jude...hope the owner is happy! x

Raylene Edwards said...

It was worth the research you did for just the right designs. Its outstanding 😊