Monday, 19 October 2015

Quilt show report

Today I am in recovery mode, and have done the housework thing, doing dishes, the washing, making beds, watering the garden, putting things away, and still trying to sort out the clutter from the move a couple of weeks ago! And I have been looking at a bowl of apples that have needed some attention, and today they made it into some apple pies!    I have felt quite domesticated, such as I haven’t for quite a while! Winking smile
I thought I better start this posting, and I have done it in sections, but it has taken me quite a long time so far, so I shall come back tomorrow with more photos of quilts and people.
It was a great weekend, and there was a real buzz in the air and lots of chatter and laughter. A fantastic effort by lots of people all working together.
A big thankyou to the QGSA for the loan of the car quilt, which grabbed the attention of many in the main street, at the entrance to the quilt show. It was good publicity for us.
The sale of raffle tickets for this quilt was very successful and the funds raised are going to the Royal Flying Doctor Service.
The show was opened on Friday by Michele Hill, who made a lovely speech and helped make it a great weekend. We loved having you Michele, thanks for coming and giving us 3 days of your time. You are a special lady!
The sitting area at the main entrance was well used, and here is one patient husband waiting for his “other half” to look at the quilts.
On Saturday evening our President held a casual dinner at her home just outside of the town. This was attended by members, the visiting shops people, and others who were staying in town for the quilt show. We had a nice evening and toured Pat’s large country garden. I was wishing I had taken my camera because they live in a big old Aussie homestead, which was built in the 1800’s.
The photo below shows the guests who stayed at my house relaxing and chatting about the day, after we arrived back from Pat's. (And the clutter from the move 3 weeks ago is still stacked in by the door at the left!)
Sunday afternoon it was time to announce the Viewers Choice winners and for Michele to draw the winner of the raffle quilt. (I will come back tomorrow with a list of the winners).
All too soon it was time to take the quilts down, and pack up the frames. We hire the stands from the QGSA and all the sections need to be counted and put back into the bags, which you can see happening in the bottom photo.
Almost all have left the building, and that’s it for another 2 years! Thanks to everyone who worked for this, and to all those who came to see. It was a great show.
I feel like I have had a short holiday and really enjoyed the social aspect. It felt a bit like I had been “let out of school”, after finishing the quilt show quilts, my own quilts, and the recent move of stuff from The Sanctuary.  Although I must admit that I hit the wall this afternoon, and had to shut my eyes for a nanna nap. Will post more photos soon.

No comments: