Saturday 16 October 2021

Quilt Show - Part 3


Here I am back again with a few more photos from the show. After this one there will only be one more quilt show post, with the winning pics of each category. 

Raylene managed to get 6 quilts finished to put in the show, and the first 4 will be donated to a worthy place, along with a few I have made. We plan to get busy and make up a lot more in the future, in the hope of using up some of the fabric that is insulating the shelves here. When I get my mojo back, I will be having days for girls to come and sew for others.

RAYLENE'S ENTRIES

Stepping out


16 Patch Scrappy


Trip to Bali


Rustic Steps


Square Dance


A Moment of Madness


QGSA MYSTERY QUILTS

When Covid entered our world in 2020 the Quilters Guild of SA commenced Mystery Quilts on Facebook groups. This was a great way to connect online when we were unable to meet in person and word spread far and wide with many quilters from all over the world joining in. People shared the fabrics they intended to use, and sometimes recipes and even their sewing spaces with each other.

The first quilt Casa Felix was designed by the then President Chris O'Brien and there were a few of these made by members and hanging in our show..............(hope I have got them all).




 

The next was the Mysolation Mystery and designed by Rachelle Denneny. This raised a great amount of funds for BackPacks4kids as well. These quilts had a few different options as to how the blocks were assembled, so they all look quite different.






The next Mystery was the Pick a Box and designed by Lessa Siegele and this also had a lot of different options.







There were also a few quilts in the show that members had made using my Ready, Set & Sew Kits and I took the following photos.

Summer Skies


Lenton Rose


Colour Burst


Lilac Storm


Purple Stacks


Spinning Dots


Summer Sun


I still have a lot of bundles of fabric here and the future includes time to cut more kits for sale. They are a popular product for an immediate sewing fix without all the preparation of choosing fabrics, deciding on a pattern and then the cutting out. I enjoy the challenge of collecting a range of fabrics, scanning them and playing around with EQ8 until I am happy with the result.

Raylene and I went to Market Day in the city last May and had a good day, but I discovered that I would have had more sales if I had been able to process that little plastic card. (I think covid might have reduced the cash that we carry around with us.) Up until now it has mostly been customers picking up their quilts from here and paying then or transferring into my account and that has worked well. Recently I heard of a little gadget, called Square which works from an app on my phone and customers can just swipe their card across it and hey, presto, instant payment!! The best part is there is no monthly fee, and the money is in my bank account the next day, with a low cost involved. I purchased this gadget the week before the show, and it has proved it's worth many times already. As I have 2 more market days booked up for the new year, I think my Square is here to stay. (It is about 2 1/2" square!)


Hope you are enjoying your weekend. The weather is coolish again today, and a few showers have fallen. I have spent some time in the garden weeding and raking today, enjoyed the company of some visitors, had a few phone calls, cooked some meals and done little else. I have read one book this week. It is a bit scary to see how fast the days go by, and have little to show for it. Looking around at my desk and the scattered paperwork everywhere, here's hoping I don't get too used to doing little.

Blessings, From Jude



8 comments:

Susan said...

What a wonderful variety of quilts from one pattern...a few I really like. Great post Jude - thanks

ButterZ said...

Oh technology. Love the quilts. Jude I did a Pick a Box mystery by Lessa Siegele years ago. I would like to know how do I find out more details about this fun mystery.

Raylene Edwards said...

Two really good ideas have produced an abundance of quilts. Making quilts for others from a super stash of fabric & the mystery quilts which kept the interest of quilting alive while in lock-down. Then the ‘Square’…such a great asset for a spontaneous must have purchase to add to the stash ๐Ÿ˜‰

Jean McGee said...

Scrappy quilts are great for using the stash and some patterns give so many designs just by changing the layout. Good you can accept electronic payments now it seems to be the way to go these days. ๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€

Maria said...

It's always surprising how different the some design looks use a variety of materials...all beautiful..
Your wee small box looks like the way to go for you..

loulee said...

Oh my goodness. Thank you for sharing all the pictures from the exhibition over the last few blog posts. There are some truly amazingly talented folks in our world, it was lovely to see so many beautiful quilts.

Janice said...

Once again, some beautiful quilts. I do love all the different interpretations of the mystery quilts. Mystery quilts are such fun. I’m glad the Square is working well for you. Yes, I think mainly cashless is here to stay. I chuckled at the way you said what you did in the day, indicating you are really taking it easy. I wish I achieved that much.

dq said...

Those squares are handy. I have paid on them before.