Thursday 14 October 2021

Quilt show, Part 2..........

It has been a lovely day with the Angels, and another quilt is now waiting for borders. We probably could have been more productive, but the conversation and cuppas are also important. That's our story and we're sticking to it.

I'm back again with more exhibition news and some photos, although I still haven't got all the pics I need of the category winners, so that post will wait. I do have quite a few other photos though.

CHRIS O'BRIEN'S QUILTS

I'll start with the most amazing quilts made by Chris O'Brien, and sorry I don't have detailed pics of these. Chris chose a diverse range of her quilts for us to display.

This first one, "That's what friends are for"really needs to be seen to appreciate the work in this. Not too sure of the size of those blocks but perhaps not much more than 5"!! Click on the pic and it should enlarge and you will see that there are so many little triangles!! I wonder if Chris knows how many?


I loved this one, called "Cappaccino" which was a heavily quilted Vintage Linen. Something I would like to aspire to one day. 


"No longer a Disaster", a 1930's style quilt.


"Flowers from my Garden" was a hand buttonholed applique quilt and one of Chris' earlier quilts.


"Georgina Giraffe" is a Modern Collage quilt, and attracted a lot of attention.


"Catch that Dream" featured modern background quilting. You can see that Chris has shown a wide variety of styles and excels in them all.


MYSTERY AND MAYHEM

was our group's challenge, set by our President Michelle. There were LOTS and lots of half square triangles in these quilts, so wondering how soon any of the girls will be putting them in future quilts??








While this was not hanging in the show, it was one of the Mystery and Mayhem quilts that Marie had partly made, and was finished by members. This was gifted to her granddaughter, so it belongs in this section of the blog post.

ON THE EMBROIDERY TABLE - (I have no words!!)









MY QUILTS

I did manage to get some finished for the show, in fact there were 8!! 

I have shown this on the blog and called it "Out of Africa"


  You have also seen this one, "This Little Pig" that I have made for Miss Billie. I received a lot of comments about this, especially all the little extra features in the quilting.


Here is my zig zag quilt, that I named "Turning Point". I saw a picture of this on quiltdivajulie's blog and worked out how to make one myself, with a bit of trial and error.


A few pics of how I quilted it.........




This is my Citrus Strings, which was edge to edge quilted.


Scrappy trips was made earlier this year, using up 2 1/2" strips from the drawer and will be donated..


This is my Rachelle Denneny quilt, called Mysolation that was made in 2020 during the lockdown.


And another Guild Mystery quilt, called Casa Felix that was designed by Chris O'Brien. I custom quilted this the week before hangup day, so is very last minute!! I will come back in another post to talk about the quilting on this.


      And this is Summer Sun, one of the Ready, Set and Sew Kits that I make and quilted allover.


RUTH'S QUILTS

I did not take photos of everyone's quilts, but did manage to find all of Ruth's. She has the distinction of having the most of any member entered, which is 11. Pretty good effort from one member, and one who is a working girl also. I do have to point out though, that she only has one speed on the foot pedal, and mostly works with donated scrap fabrics in patterns that don't have to meet up!! Most of the quilts that she makes are donated. (There was a bit of teasing about it being the Ruth Quilt Show!!)










If you are observant you might notice an attachment to the quilt above. If you have been reading my blog for awhile now, you might have heard the story (s) of the Pink Big Girl Panties that have been doing the rounds of various quilters for the last few years. It seems that Ruth was gifted these back in May and has been trying to 'pass them on' to someone since then and hung them to this quilt with the story attached and offered them to anyone who might feel the need for them!! Sadly no one took them, but if there is anyone in blog land that would like them, please feel free to ask!


(Sorry but this lady got in the way of taking a pic of Ruth's quilt).


I think that is enough for this post. There are lots more photos to come yet, so will be back tomorrow with another post. It is raining again today, the fire is going and a book is waiting.

Blessings, From Jude










7 comments:

Janice said...

Clever, clever ladies - particularly Chris. The mind boggles at some of her work.

Raylene Edwards said...

The Embroidery ladies are extending their craft in quite an innovative way, much the same as quilters. Well done to all the crafty people who participated in our Exhibition 🌻

kiwikid said...

So many beautiful quilts Jude, thank you for sharing.

ButterZ said...

Beautiful photos

Maria said...

So many beautiful quilts made by talented ladies…
Guess Ruth will be stuck with the Big Girl Pants for awhile longer!

dq said...

That giraffe and those pigs = my favorites! Can't stop looking at them!

Chookyblue...... said...

what a wonderful display.......thanks for sharing......