Thursday 28 October 2021

Custom quilting catchup......

I noticed there are still a few pics in the files of recent custom quilting, so perhaps it's time to post them.
First up is a small quilt made by Joan, who is trying to finish some of her UFO's. She decided that she wanted a bit more than allover on this quilt,........


.....so I found a block pattern that fitted in with the background and coloured fabrics which made the job a lot simpler.



I posted a photo of Jean with her quilt in the exhibition reports, but here is a closeup of the quilting.
 

I used 2 different patterns which fitted the hexagon shapes and that just left the grey pieces where I used a simple continuous curve. The border was piano keyed.


Here is my Casa Felix quilt (called Chris' Crossings), and it was a very last minute job just before the hanging up deadline. Due to the time limit I had, it crossed my mind to quickly do an allover pattern on it and call it done. Finished is good. But, ever since I made this in 2020, I had been mulling over the quilting designs and sketched a few ideas on a photo of the quilt. And because I could, I went with the custom option. After loading this quilt, I quilted straight lines through the diagonal blue squares and also through the blue triangles across and down, which had been in my original drawings. I knew I wanted to CC through the patterned fabrics and the next step was to decide on a border pattern.


With this fabric I wanted something a bit more modern looking and found this pattern, which is a bit hard to see in the photo.


I found a pattern for the centre blue squares and after that I needed a design for the yellow area, and used the border pattern and the wonderful features of Creative Studio to create something to fit. Using the divide, rubber stamp, mirror and node features I used the elements to make a triangular pattern.



The grey sashings came next and I repeated the circles in these. I do like to find patterns that all work together and look as though they are "friends" with each other. I try not to have too many different things happening, and here I have circles, straight lines and continuous curves. (And not a feather in sight, which is a bit different for me).



This quilt was made by Prue using her collection of 30's fabrics and is a quilt for her daughter, so she wanted something a bit more special. Hearts somewhere was a request so I was very happy to find the border pattern you can see.




Lastly I have Pat's quilt to show, that won Viewers Choice at the exhibition. 


This quilt was designed by Michele Hill as an applique quilt, and I posted about this some time ago when I quilted Michele's. (Photo below). You can see how different this looks.


Pat used the patterns from Michele and hand embroidered all the elements instead of applique!! (Note, she did not do the patterns in the border and triangles).  I can't comprehend the hours spent on this!














That covers all the recent custom quilting. I am slowly working on some allovers as I ease back into things. There are more customs ahead for next month.

*****************

It has been an interesting day today as storms went through the area. About lunch time the thunder was very loud, and so close that I turned off Max and unplugged at the wall, in the middle of a quilt. I have heard too many stories of damage to risk using it in a storm. I expected the power to go out, so quickly made some lunch and a cuppa just in case. About an hour later after some rain, all was quiet and the sun tried to shine again, so I turned Max back on and finished the quilt. Looking at the clock I thought perhaps there was time to get another smaller one done and got busy loading it. But not long after the thunder rolled in and the rain came down, so all was switched off again. There endeth my quilting for the day. Time to sit at the computer and sort photos for a couple of blog posts.

Tonight's news had reports of much damage in some areas, including north of the city and the Barossa where family live. Messages received include some water in the house, and one family member receiving severe hail damage to their car. Many areas are without power. Another friend's son now has a pergola with many holes in it. I am sure the insurance companies have been and will be inundated with claims for damages. There is a strong, severe wind warning out for tonight, so stay safe everyone. An area north of our town received large hail today and heavy rains, although I am not sure of damage yet. Some farmers in this area also recorded frost damage to their wheat crops last week. As I am typing this, I can hear thunder again, so it looks like it's not over yet.

Blessings, From Jude 



7 comments:

Jenifer said...

Your custom work is fantastic Judy. I’m positive that your clients are very pleased with how their quilts have been finished. It certainly has been an unusual day weather wise! Hope we have a calm night.

loulee said...

Beautiful, beautiful quilts.
Hope the weather calms soon.

Janice said...

Beautiful work. You custom quilting really adds an extra dimension to the quilts. I hope you weren’t affected by any further storms. We are having a weekend away in Forbes and only received a bit of wind, thank goodness. I think it stayed mainly south of us.

Raylene Edwards said...

Another bunch of quilts showing people’s request of ‘simple custom’ or ‘give it the works’. Prue’s heart border is sumptuous. The individual photos of Pats Bee Mindful blocks show the amazing needlework of an extremely talented lady & the wonderful machine quilting you’ve done to make it an outstanding quilt. 🐝

kiwikid said...

Such beautiful custom work Jude, it just brings the quilts to life! There must be many many hours of stitching in that last quilt, just amazing.

Maria said...

Such beautiful custom quilting Jude and I like the blocks that fit on a design in a quilt…
Pat’s quilt is stunning…
Hope you stay safe in that bad weather.

Susan said...

Wonderful custom quilting Jude. that applique quilt is gorgeous and certainly deserves a prize!

Hope the masty weather is gone - for a while anyway. - We've had some severe storms like that around Brisbane too.