Wednesday 21 October 2020

Zooming along...............

 Here it is the middle of another week, so it must be time for a post. I have been standing with Max for 2 days and finally finished a large custom job this morning. Photographs have been taken and I am ready for a sitting job before I launch into some other jobs. I am also very behind in replying to blog comments but I will get there, I think.

Since my last post on Friday I have been zooming along on a few different things. On Saturday it was time for another Zoom sewing day, organised by chookyblue with bloggers from all over the world. Bloggers were from various states of  Australia as well as New Zealand, Canada, Germany and the USA. These are a great time and we are all very productive too. Some of the girls do hand sewing while chatting, and some do machine projects. It is always great to listen to the conversation and join in when you wish. We all have the common interest of quilting to talk about, and the conversations are quite varied and of course includes the virus situation and how it affects each country. As we get to know each other, more of our lives are shared, and this time even the political events of the USA got an airing. There were about 15 - 16 on at anyone time, but 25 in total logged on at some stage of the day.


                   Clare from New Zealand had this amazing cross stitch for show and tell. I can't imagine the                                                 patience needed to do this by hand!


I spent the morning sitting and listening to the chatter while cutting some small scrappy pieces that have been languishing on my desk for too long. It was a quiet job to do as I was worried about the noise of the sewing machine disrupting conversations.

But after lunch I decided to test out how noisy the machine would be, although I am able to mute the sound coming from my end, and still listen to everyone else chatter. So I went to the string drawer and started zooming along with the citrus strings! Apparently there was little noise unless I put my foot down hard on the pedal and zoomed fast. I do have a lot of other projects that need finishing, but I was looking for something easy that did not require a lot of thinking. It wasn't long before I had 8 blocks made and stitched together.

And then there were 12 blocks done......................


By this time I was ready to call it a day and said good bye to the girls. I had come into the meeting at 6.30 am, and Chooky was already there, and she stayed until 9pm!! Sylvia from Germany managed to stay up until about 3 a.m. her time, and went off for some sleep and came back again later. The US and Canada girls were on Friday afternoon and evening time when we are already at Saturday. It was so fun to compare each others time zones.

Sunday morning I spent some time in the garden, zooming around with the wheelbarrow and offloading bags of compost and fertilizer onto the garden bed I am preparing for the dahlias. This still needs to be dug over again yet.


While outside I thought I better take a photo of the first roses of the season, and you can see we had some rain over night and those light spots are actually water drops.


After church and then lunch I debated about the next job, and decided that I would like to see the strings put together. I needed some more squares of vilene, which is what I use for the base of the block as it does not need to be removed like paper does. I also cut more sashes and cornerstones ready for action


I have all these end of thread rolls that don't get used on Max when they are this empty. They are used by me and for the Angels sewing days to piece the quilts and for bobbins.


So that I could get zooming at full speed with no interruptions I wound a few bobbins. And this time I did put my foot down and speed.


After making about 12 blocks yesterday, I still had this many strings left in the drawer!! 


 And it wasn't  long before I had a few more blocks ready to be pressed and cut.


The quilt is now at this stage, and I really want another 4 blocks yet before I add borders to make this a single bed size quilt. Life has got in the way now and it will have to wait for some more free time. In my head I am thinking about string piecing the borders as well???


Since Monday I have been zooming along with Max and have put in some long days to get a custom quilt finished. Sorry but photos will have to wait on that too.

Now that I have had a "rest" it is time to zoom to the rest of the house and put some order where it's needed. Some cooking is on the agenda as well. I will be zooming up the highway again on the  weekend. News is not real good with my Dad so some family time is needed.

After all that talk of zooming, I thought perhaps i should actually look up the meaning of the word!? It tells me that to Zoom - to move quickly, with great speed and energy, to change from a long shot to a closeup.  

Now I know why I feel rather tired, too much zooming!? Be back soon

Blessings, From Jude

11 comments:

Karen's Korner said...

It was lovely zooming along with you and the others. Gorgeous citrus string blocks.

ButterZ said...

Zoom has opened the world up to better things. It was a great day. Good to see the progress you made

Jean McGee said...

I've just finished a strip quilt, it's fun and a good way to use up fabric, like you I still have lots left over. Your first rose is lovely it's a good time to work in the garden now everything seems to be coming to life.
Take care, Jean πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸŒΊπŸŒΊ

Gail said...

Love the sunny string quilt! You have been zooming around accomplishing;lishing much! I so enjoy the Zoom chats, I might even recognized some of you if we met on the street!

Susan Smith said...

How lovely to have the ability to Zoom along with quilters across the world. At least you can stay in touch with like-minded people. Love the strings in that new quilt & look forward to seeing the finish. Your rose looks lovely & although my are flowering, the constant grey weather means they are slow coming out, then the rain makes them very soggy indeed. Thanks for this post about zooming, take care & stay safe.

Raylene Edwards said...

Although I have participated in a few Zoom meetings, I’ve found it challenging. Technology has certainly Zoomed ahead at an amazing rate. It has achieved the same as our Retreats, meeting new quilters & continuing friendship with those already met previously. I even managed to get some stitching done on my Fidjet Muffs at the same time πŸ˜‰

kiwikid said...

My goodness you have had a real zooming week!! Your citrus string blocks are beautiful, you have made great progress. That is a beautiful rose, always something to be doing in the garden.

Joy from Days Filled With Joy said...

Haha, I was exhausted after 8 hours of zooming! But it was fun and you got a lot done! Love how your strings quilt is looking! xx

Janice said...

You make me tired just reading of all your doings. It was great to catch up on Saturday, even if I was only there for a short while. I love the fresh colours of your string quilt

Bethan said...

Really lovely citrus string blocks - you certainly got a lot done whilst zooming! x

Chookyblue...... said...

OMG you exhausted me with all that zooming.......you sure were zooming away some jobs........and the blocks look great that you made in the zoom stitching day......we all get so much done even thought we are chatting all day....you must tell me how you make the citrus blocks.....what is you sew it onto........I do like the look of those blocks.....
must have another one soon....
hugs re your Dad.....XXXX