Sunday 14 June 2020

The week that was.....................

Time for a bit more newsfromjude, and a bit of a summary on recent days. I find it rather strange that in the "isolation" and restrictions of the last few months, life has still been speeding on, when you would think it would be a much slower pace?? How did I ever find time to do the trips up the highway and other activities that I managed to do?? I can't even say I have a tidy, weeded garden to show for my time. And there has been a lot less housework being done with no retreats happening. And even though I work from home, there has been less customer quilts "going out the door"!! Mystery?? Even saying months in the sentence above is scary, and it is 3 months tomorrow since our state borders shut. Half of the year 2020 has gone, which started with much expectation from a lot of people.

Enough rambling, now onto the newsfromjude, which is an assorted collection of this week's goings on.

As I have mentioned, Raylene came to visit after some restrictions were lifted and we were allowed travel to other areas of our state. I call her my fairy, as she organises the chaos of my life. She is the organising queen, and if you want things sorted, and filed, she does it so well. All those jobs that I don't get to finishing, such as when I cut fabrics for the kits, and leave the remaining bits in a tub "for later". After I rummage around in the shelves for just that right colour of fabric for a quilt design,and  I don't spend the time to put them back. This lady is the fabric folding queen, labels everything, and even colour coordinates the scrap squares. Quite a few little cases have been packed with scraps, and the following picture shows the packs with 1000 2" squares, (500 of lights and 500 mediums). There are more with 2 1/2" squares and 2" finished half square triangles. These will all be listed on my For Sale page of the blog, in due course.




A lot of fabric has been sorted this week, ready for me to use in the designs. Today I have packed up 4 quilt kits, and have more pieces on the ironing board waiting for me do some more. Thankyou to Raylene, and to Pat, who is my checking lady for all the kits and double checks my calculations.



A bit more progress has been made on this quilt. I can't imagine ever doing applique like this, and appreciate the work this lady has done. In this block there are 29 leaves alone, and there are lots of blocks in this quilt. It did cross my mind to count the number of leaves in the whole quilt, but will just content myself that there are LOTS!


This block has 56 leaves!! All this applique will be sewn in the ditch and then background filled. I will be very pleased when I finally get this finished. When I am doing SID like this, I usually sit at my machine on a saddle stool, but sitting on this is still rather uncomfortable. About 3 - 4 hours standing is my limit at present, which means progress is slow.


Looking back at the photos, I can see where some of that time has disappeared to. Since some restrictions have been lifted, there has been a few more  social events. While Raylene has been here, we have had some friends to morning teas of scones, and I cooked for friends 2 evenings this week. Such simple activities, but very special, after so long of being on my own.


One afternoon this week, I was quilting with Max, and looked outside and saw a lovely blue sky. I was almost at a stage of where I had planned to be with "that" quilt, by the end of the day. On an impulse I decided it was time for us to get outdoors. Raylene had been reading the book "Desert Blooms", which told the story of farms that had been developed by the AMP Society back in the 1950's, and included land north of Bordertown


 The farm that we had owned was originally one of those properties, so I decided to take her for a drive see where I used to live. After a stop at the shop for an icecream to eat on our drive, we set off.
 
This is a monument to  show where the original settlement was situated, and you may be able to read the words in the second photo if you click on it.



I had not travelled out to this area for a few years, so was interested to see the changes along the way. Our property was about 15 kms from town, and many years ago my friend (who was also a neighbour), and I used to ride our bikes, and no they were not motorised, into town and back home again!! 

On the way home we drove by the lake on the edge of town. This is where the annual Sunrise service is usually held each Easter Sunday, and Raylene has attended with me for  few years now. This year was the first time we have missed, due to the restrictions. It is a lovely spot and very peaceful among the gum trees. It was late afternoon when we arrived here, and the birds were singing and the ducks floating on the water. (This is a man made lake in an area where the soil had been removed to make the overpass for the new road to go over the railway line, back when the highway was moved to detour  the town.)

There is a walking trail going around the outside of the lake, which has an island in the middle. It is a very pretty area, so come for a walk with us.................







I have to tell you the story about this photo............ I said to Raylene, "look there is a log, how about you sit on it for a photo??"She duly obliged my request, and posed for a picture, but I have to say the smile you see did not last, and she did not sit for long, as she had sat right on a large nest of ants!!! A bit of slapping and swiping occurred after this to remove the multitude of ants that thought they had found a new residence!! (Not laughing here!!)





It was very cold by the time we got back to the car, and I need to be honest and say we did not walk the whole way around the lake either! Another impulsive decision was then made and we purchased a yummy treat of fish and chips to eat back home by the fire.

So there endeth a lovely week, and a good balance of activities. If you had been reading my blog for a few years, you would know that I have been trying to find balance in the busyness of my life. And here it is, without me even trying. Note to self - make sure I make a new normal as restrictions lift.

That's enough for this post, it's time to spend a little time working on that Mystery quilt as the Step 3 instructions were posted on Friday, and progress is being made. Hopefully I will soon find sitting comfortable enough to spend some serious hours working on the quilts for Miss Billie and Miss Bridie. Especially because Miss Bridie has a birthday next month!!

Blessings, From Jude








8 comments:

Raylene Edwards said...

It’s a pleasure to see your chaos made ready for your next foray into the magic of turning fabrics into wonderful quilts. Social interaction is important now, all who visited were very happy to enjoy the company of others. ๐ŸŒป

kiwikid said...

Does Day Jens come to other houses to cut and sort?? ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜ what a wonderful help she must be. Those packs of little squares look wonderful. That was a great place to go for a walk, I hope all the ants went back to their original home!! So good the restrictions have eased and we can have visitors now .

simplestitches said...

nice applique blocks...love the place where you walked, very peaceful looking

dq said...

That is a beautiful trip down memory lane except for the part where she sat on ants. I could totally picture her slapping them afterwards. That photo of the log looks just like a bear to me. I nearly thought the story was going to be about an encounter wit a bear instead of ants.

I love the cure little bins you sort your kits into!

Pink Rose said...

Hi Jude wow your work is amazing ,you are very clever and what a beautiful place to have visited,hope you have a wonderful day xx

Joy from Days Filled With Joy said...

Oh poor Raylene!!! That's a spot she will not forget!!

I am so tempted to buy some of your scraps... like I need them!!! But they are different scraps to mine you see.....

Thanks for sharing some of the history and pics, so interesting! xx

Susan said...

What a great buddy to have - she studies up for you - and you give her an ants'
nest to sit on!!! LOL

that applique quilt is lovely.

I'll need to keep an eye out for your 2.5" squares.

Happy sewing!

Karen's Korner said...

Is Raylene for hire? I could use her at times. It is nice to take a trip down memory lane from time to time.