Friday 19 June 2020

It's Friday already!

Here it is almost 5pm on Friday afternoon, and I feel like it's bed time. I was up "with the fowls", at 5am, or probably before them, as it was still dark for another 2 hours after that. Last night I finally finished the quilting of THAT QUILT, and you might have heard my Ta Daa from your house? It is not often that a quilt stays on the machine for 4 weeks, and probably never before. But when you have 2 weeks of recovery in the middle of that time, and then reduced hours after that, 
that's what happens. 

For most of this week I have been concentrating on finishing it, and I now had a lot of jobs that had been put on the list for later. So today has been catchup day. I had to take that quilt off Max, and photograph it (pics will come in another post), order some supplies, make a blood test appointment, go to the post office, chemist and the supermarket. Oh, did I mention that I needed to wash clothes, and do some cleaning? So I am feeling good to have crossed lots off the "todo" list  today.

Today was also the day that Rachelle was revealing the final step of the Mystery quilt. I was close to being up to date with the last step, but still had some work to do. Hence my 5am start to the day.

Last night I had this amount done, which was steps 1, 2 and part of 3. All those pieces on the right are the bonus triangles that some brave people are sewing and trimming, but as they will finish at 1 1/2" I will NOT be doing these any time soon. I am sure I can find a good home for them??


The pile on the bottom left are what I still had to finish. So while all is quiet in the world, I set to work. A bit of trimming was necessary, and I love the little heap of strings and thought they would be pretty to use somewhere? But they are in the bin now and I am not really short of fabric or projects in this house!!


Those units all needed a little square stitched to the corner, .........


.............then my gizmo cut the strings..............and after trimming off some more tiny little bonus triangles, off they went to the ironing board  to be pressed.


And with half an hour to spare before the reveal, I had all my units made!! Unbelievable for me to be on time.


There are a few different options on how to put these units together, and I will have to play around and try them. I will be back with pics when I have laid them out.

The other news of this mystery is the total of funds raised for BackPacks4Kids SA. An amazing achievement from everyone!! And what fun it has been, watching the facebook posts of everyone's fabric choices, progress, the whoopsies along the way and the general conversations. It has certainly made the restrictions we are under more fun, and I am very thankful for the modern technology that helps us all to keep in touch.


Which brings me to the amazing way we can link up with Zoom. I posted about Chookyblue's Zoom party a couple of weeks ago, and how simple it was to chat with each other and all be on the screen together. It has got me thinking about the way ahead, now that the sewing weekends are not presently happening here at Number 8. A couple of comments from friends has led me to think about whether a Zoom Mystery retreat might be possible??

My friend Michelle and I were chatting and she decided we would try a Zoom meeting and so she duly sent me an invite for last night, and asked if Raylene was still here to join us. I had to tell her that Raylene was back home again, and did not "do" emails or have a computer. But after a conversation with my fairy, she got very busy and consulted with the "younger generation" and worked out how to find her emails (she knew there was an email address linked to her facebook), and "took over" her hubbies IPad, and by last night she was all set to go!! (Is that keen or not?) There we were at 7.30, waiting for Michelle to admit us to the room! 

But Michelle had problems at her end, and all her computer would do was restart, again and again. Then I decided to send her and Raylene an invite from my computer. I admitted Raylene to the room and we were chatting on the screen and poor Michelle was chatting to me on the mobile phone and feeling very disappointed, while her computer did another restart!! I did send her the photo I took below, but I don't think it made her feel any better. I know Michelle will be contacting a guru to help her work out what was happening.
(And looking at the photo, I think that with only 2 of us on the screen, that it is larger than it needs to be, and perhaps I need to get out of isolation and to the hair dresser very soon.)


Tonight we have another practice session scheduled with another friend, so hopefully I will be back with a report on that soon.

Time to switch off for short time, and maybe put my feet up by the warm fire for a little rest, until our meeting tonight? Hope I don't sleep through it seeing as I was up at 5am?

Be back soon,
Blessings, From Jude


5 comments:

Raylene Edwards said...

Glad to see you are up and running, at least walking & sitting more comfortably! The Ta Daaa reached Largs Bay, the quilt looks fantastic. Your mystery quilt should result in a Ta Daaa moment very soon. ๐Ÿ’‡‍♀️

kiwikid said...

You are going well with your Mystery Quilt and the fund raising is fantastic. Sounds like you have been very busy with catching up on things to be done. Hope the next zoom meeting is a success.

Jean McGee said...

Glad you are up and about again. The mystery quilt has us all pretty excited and hanging out for last Friday, now e just have to put it together. I'm plodding along in my usual slow style but enjoying it all the same, at least the weather is a good excuse to stay indoors and sew.
Take care , love Jean ๐Ÿ˜

Susan said...

Good luck to your friend and her computer....Zoom isa good thing for these times....interesting mystery pieces....looking good

dq said...

Your mystery zoom night sounds fun. I hope it worked out well! Your fabrics are GORGEOUS!