Tuesday 23 June 2020

The Mystery is revealed!

Friday morning at 9.30 was the culmination of the last few weeks steady progress, and Rachelle revealed her Mystery. But wait, there was more, as we had 4 choices available to us on how to sew our units together!! Right back at the start, we had different options to choose with regard to our fabric choices. You could go totally scrappy, various main colours and background, 2 colours of fabrics and a background, or 4 different fabrics. There were cutting instructions for each option. And since then, each week the instructions had come out for each of those colour options. The instructions, notes and even videos to show different techniques have been very comprehensive and a credit to Rachelle.

After the reveal I looked at my options...... there were 4.... but I discounted 2 of them straight away because I did not want the 4 background triangles coming together to form a big on point square. So that left me with 2 ways to go..... either this one that formed a star..........


...............or this one.................????


As decisions were made amongst the group, photos were posted on the facebook page, and many were choosing the star option,.............. so I decided to be different and choose option 3, pictured above. So, off to work I went! And it was a wonderful winters weekend to spend indoors with the heater on. Outside it was very cold and wet. It wasn't long before 2 blocks were done and on the floor!


.............4 done!!..............oh wait, something doesn't look right, do you spy an oopsie??


I wasn't doing the stars was I? Better turn those points around then.


10 done, and 6 left to go............... on a mission to get the centre put together by end of day......... hope it's not too late...... I was at the machine early.............


............steady Jude, another oopsie!.... where is the unpicker?


I did not lay all the units of each block out before I started sewing, as I knew that I would be there all day changing the colours around, so I only worked on 2 blocks at a time, and laid them out on the ironing table.............every available surface was used...............just as well I had the whole room to spread out and noone to share the space with.......................


An audio book that I received for my birthday, and a bit of chocolate helped the day go by......


                                      ...............until I had a pile of 16 blocks done!!


I had decided that I wanted to sash the blocks, to break up those dark triangles that would meet to make a large on point square, and I really love my background fabric and so I cut enough sashes for the quilt, and various darks for the cornerstones........... and soon had one row hanging up............... 


...........and then 2 rows................


..........and then the centre was done by about 6.30 that evening!!


I knew I wanted a border, not because I wanted a large quilt, (because I really don't NEED any more quilts), but because I thought it needed "finishing off". I did have some ideas, and plenty of leftover fabrics, so I went to bed thinking about it all........................and by morning I had made a decision.

Sunday morning it was time for "church", which is still not back face to face yet. Thankfully we still have the option of watching UTube services, which is fantastic. Hopefully we will be back IN church sometime in July, and I look forward to that.

My borders were 3 strips 2" finished with dark fabrics in between the background pink as you can see below. I made up 4 units to feature in each corner. Each strip was sewn together and sewn to each side as one.


Getting excited now, as I stitched the last border on!!


And Ta Daaaaa!! It was done. You can see now that I "carried" the sashing strips into the outer border. (Only because this made working out the maths of that centre border really really easy!!) And I was all into making it quick, so that I can cross this off the list, and get back to the applique quilts, now that I can sit for longer periods of time at the machine.


You can imagine that I am feeling pretty pleased with another Ta Daa moment following the finish of THAT quilt a couple of days ago. This week I am back to allover quilts with Max, and the desk is covered with paper work that needs dealing with because it is the end of June, and thus the end of the financial year in a week. This weekend I hope to be back sewing the Paper Dolls quilt.

I shall be back soon with photos of THAT quilt, and also another event that was held last weekend. 

Blessings, from Jude

7 comments:

simplestitches said...

lovely quilt..love the colours and the narrow sashing really pulled it all together, very nice

Susan said...

Love it - and as above - I love the narrow sashing and how it goes out to the edge...a great finish!

kiwikid said...

Congratulations on the finish, it looks amazing, I love how you have done the sashings and border. Beautiful. Good to hear your back is a bit better.

Raylene Edwards said...

Fabulous result. Is it named yet? Competition material ? I’m going for Sugar & Spice 🌺🌸

Karen's Korner said...

I was "with you" every step of the process and yes I am also a border girl. To me it is like a framing a beautiful picture. Gorgeous result.

Bethan said...

This quilt is stunning! The borders are so effective, especially with the sashing extending into it. I've never put borders onto a quilt but this inspires me to try at some point x

Lin said...

Thats a gorgeous finish Jude! The sashing works really well especially carrying it out to the border and the border finishes everything really nicely. xx