Wednesday 10 June 2020

Making progress.......


It was almost 3 weeks ago that I posted this photo of my cut pieces all ready for Rachelle's Mystery quilt, The "Mysolation Free Mystery Fundraiser". Funds raised for Backpacks for SA Kids Inc has now exceeded $12,000 which is an amazing effort from about 900 members of the facebook group. It has been great that quilters from our state of South Australia have been joined by people from other parts of our country as well as quilters from all over the world. The conversations and banter going back and forth as members show photos of their progress is as close as we can get to a face to face sewing day, which is not happening yet.


Since my fall, sewing time at the machine has been very limited, due to my sitting position. It has been ok to sit on cushions in the leaning forward position with elbows on a table, but sitting in the upright position needed for machine work has been not so easy. Hence this was how far I had progressed.....


......until last night, when I had another try at sitting at the machine. The next lot of instructions (Step 3) will be released on Friday morning, and I was still working on Step 1. The triangles had been sewn to the left side of the unit, and needed all the right side ones to be stitched.


And here are my 64 units completed, with one spare, because I did not count correctly!!


Of course, I still have Step 2 to do, which are 4 patches and half square triangles, but I am happy to have made this progress. Hopefully sitting will get better, and I might get caught up soon. And I know it's not a race, but I am conscious that I have a LOT of UFO's that need attention. I probably should have looked in that direction during isolation, instead of starting 4 new projects??

I did get to spend time with Max yesterday, but as you can see below, there is a lot of work in this quilt, so I won't be finished anytime soon. But progress is being made, a little at a time, and I do need to remember that there was 2 weeks of no progress at all when movement was painful.


For those new to my blog, I need to tell you that Max is the name I have given my Gammill Statler machine, and not some random guy here in my house!

Well, I can hear that the washing machine has given it's little tune that tells me that the cycle has finished. So I better get to and hang the contents on the line, which is actually the clothes airer which will be beside the heater in the lounge. And then time with Max is on the agenda for the morning. Raylene is still visiting with me, and is going out for coffee with friends this morning. She has been so busy organising and packing fabrics for me since she arrived, that I am happy to see her taking some time out.

Blessings, From Jude

10 comments:

Cheryll said...

That's a beautiful quilt "Max" is working on...

Susan Smith said...

Love your QAL & you are certainly progressing on it nicely. Stay warm, take care & hugs from across the border.

Maria said...

Pleased you were able to sit at the machine again and work on the Mystery quilt...Looking great...

dq said...

I wish I had a Max at my house! He helps you do beautiful things!

The quilt on Max right now is to die for!!!

The fabrics in your mystery quilt are mouth watering especially the soft pink with circles on it. I do love the batiks as well. I think you have done so much especially with back pain. I don't know how people cope with constant pain.

Raylene Edwards said...

Recovery has been slow & frustrating for you, but it’s happening as your Mystery Quilt shows progress. Also more together time with Max will soon have another beautiful quilt finished with your amazing skills. I’ve enjoyed a wonderful time here, No. 8 is indeed Special 💖

kiwikid said...

Great progress on your mystery quilt, good to hear you are more comfortable sitting at the machine. Your mystery fabrics are beautiful.
I wish, too I had Max at my house!! The quilt on Max is stunning.

Joy McD said...

Your mystery quilts is looking good, and how wonderful to have raised that much money for a good cause... Glad you and Max are spending some more quality time together 😀 It’s going to be an amazing quilt... xx

loulee said...

I wish I had a Max. But I'm happy with my Jenny (Janome) LOL
Your blocks look good altogether like that, and who among us can honestly say they never had a miscount!
Take care of your aches and pains. (Hugs)

Chookyblue...... said...

Oh the mystery is looking good so far..... Wished I had some time to sew.... It will return..... Don't worry about starting new projects.... Just make sure you are enjoying yourself in these different times... Nice to still have raelene visiting and helping..... Hope your feeling back to normal and can sit and do what you want...... The custom will slowly happen to....

Lin said...

I love the fabrics you are using for your mystery quilt - such gorgeous colour. The quilt you are working on with Max is stunning. xx