Tuesday 2 October 2018

Another Pick a Case Mystery Retreat Report

Once again I have had messages from readers about my absence from blog land, so it must be time to update you with newsfromjude. It was my intention to post a report last night, but I decided it could wait for another time. The last of the retreaters left this morning, the washing is done, beds remade and the fridge cleaned out. And at 1/4 to 7 this evening I finally finished the custom quilt that I have been working on!! A great feeling indeed.

It was another fantastic retreat, where friendships were renewed as the ladies met up again. This weekend we were fewer in number, due to a last minute cancellation, and that resulted in a much quieter weekend. Usually it is hard to know which conversation to listen to as up to 10 ladies chatter.
There was such a large range of subjects discussed, and I wonder if it might be a good idea for those who are in charge of our country and make big decisions to hear what the average person thinks.

   The allocation process has varied with each retreat, just to keep things interesting. This time Pat organised a game of cards for the girls, and here they are showing a picture of the quilts they received. I think they were all happy with their choices.


This is where the action happened.


We had an ironing station set up, but as there was often a queue, I put another one in another room.


I will post progress shots of each quilt in turn. First up is Margaret's quilt, Bird Song.








Val soon got into her quilt Up Hill and Down Dale, although she made the comment that perhaps she would call it Over the Hill as she turns 80 this year!








 Sorry I forgot to take a photo with the border on, but Val was very happy with her quilt. I can see this made up in different colourways for future kits.

Robyn's quilt was called Strolling the Seine, named after the range of fabric. This is a repeat of an earlier quilt from last year, as I had more of the fabric on the shelf.





 A bit of hand applique was a good job sitting in the lounge in the evening.



Robyn managed to get one row of her quilt put together (which you can see in the group photo below), before she had to leave. Most were here for 3 days, but Robyn had to work on Monday.

Erica is dealing with a major life event at present, and this weekend was more a period of "time out" for her. But it was special to see her relax and laugh while making some progress on her quilt, which was called Graceful Moments.



When it was time for the group photo, she only had a pile of blocks, and nothing stitched together to hold up, so Margaret decided she would "dress" Erica with her blocks!



 As she left later than most, she did manage to get a few rows sewn together as you can see below.


Alison chose The Bee Hive for her quilt, which also has been made in an earlier retreat. There were lots of half square triangle units to be trimmed!



Do you like the message on her machine?? The foot mentioned in the note means a 1/4" foot for the Pfaff that I loaned to Alison for the weekend, just in case you think I was getting around on one foot?


But once all those HST were made, the rest of the quilt came together quickly.



One final black border to go, and then it was a finish.



Alison spent her "spare" time?? working on the binding of the quilt that she made in a previous Mystery retreat here. This is only the second quilt she has ever made, and as she even did the quilting, she has done an amazing job.



Margaret lives over the border into Victoria, and Alison is her daughter, and lives in Adelaide. They meet here once a year for a sewing weekend together. Lovely to see families that quilt together!! And talking about families that sew together, I will mention that Robyn and her sister were suppposed to have a sewing weekend together too, but Di had to cancel due to illness. Robyn did take a case home with her for Di to make while she recuperates.

This was the little pile by my machine on Sunday morning, which I had set up on Friday with the intention of doing some sewing! I had planned to work on Max on Saturday morning and then sew, but............................. 


...........my plans changed when I had a surprise visit from this little Miss and her dad. They were in town for the weekend and mummy was having a sleep in at her mums house, where they were staying, so Miss Bridie and her dad came to Grandmas's house for breakfast! (oh and cake after!!)


I wasn't too sad that I could not work on Max, and got back to that after lunch. It is very handy to have a son visit sometimes, as he dug some of the garden for me, and checked out the lighting situation that needs to be fixed. He says he will return soon and change a few lights and add extra lighting in the sewing room. Oh, and don't forget that he also loaded Netflix onto my laptop and added me to his account as a user! Now I only need some time to watch it. Maybe a few sewing weekends for me with my machine and some of those works in progress that are just waiting to see the light of day?? In that balance that I am aiming for??...... watch this space!

I did actually manage some sewing time on Sunday, and it must have been such a strange sight to see, as Pat rushed for the camera!


My progress, on a quilt that I am making for a November birthday, so need to spend a bit more time at the machine yet!


I must not forget Pat, who spent her weekend supervising everyone, as well as working a block for our local group's next monthly challenge. So that's why she is only holding up one block in the photo!


The group photo, and do you see we still have the pink flowers in the blue pot, that were left from the Pink Retreat weekend?


There endeth the newsfromjude relating to the Mystery retreat.

On Saturday morning there was a frost on the front lawn when I went out to get the paper, but it was nice and cozy inside. We did see out the window that the day turned out to be sunny eventually.


Today has been a real contrast, and the first day in months that I have not felt cold, as the weather hit about 30deg! I think it is time to seriously start watering the garden. I do hope to get a small vegetable garden growing this year, and have been working on clearing an area in the back yard.

In other news, I received a phone call last week from the Breast Cancer Network to say thankyou for the money they received from the Pink Retreat. I made a deposit of $1,513 to them, so thankyou to all who helped to raise that amount.

I think I will finish off here, and come back again another time with other news, and also another quilt show for you. I am off up the highway again early Friday morning for Appraisal day and then away for the weekend for a family wedding.

Blessings, From Jude

8 comments:

Raylene Edwards said...

Nothing like a group of mystery quilters happy with their choices. Great results! Lucky there is always cakes in the freezer for a surprise visit from Miss Bridie & Dad. You at the machine, a little more Balance. Happy Days 👍

Michele Hill said...

Looks like another great weekend and some inspiring quilts too.....love the 'Bee Hive' quilt especially! Hugs x

paulineclark@Gmail.com said...

Great to see you joining in with the girls & doing some of your own work. well done Judy.
Great quilts being made especially the BEEHIVE one.Some balance at last. xx

Linda Steele said...

Congratulations on the great result from your pink retreat. I hope you build in some rest time here and there, you seem very busy!

Dione Gardner-Stephen said...

Just dropped in to see how your retreat went. What a mammoth report, and lots of fantastic quilt tops! Love Val's quilt especially. Well done on another successful even... and your fundraising effort too. xx

Susan Smith said...

Well done to all the ladies and especially you for the organisation of these wonderful retreats. The quilts were beautiful & so different once again. Take care.

Jean McGee said...

Another great weekend again Judy, for all the girls taking part. The quilts all look lovely and I am sure everyone had a wonderful time. A lovely surprise visit from Bridie and her Dad. All the best, Jean 😀😀

Susan said...

What a lovely weekend! I'd love to be one of your retreat ladies. =) If I ever get to come to OZ, then I will have to find out when you're doing a retreat, and plan around it. LOL Have a wonderful weekend, looking forward to seeing the quilts.