Wednesday 26 September 2018

Catching up again..............

This time I can't say "where has the last week gone", as it's 10 days since my last post.

I had intended to post for the last 3 evenings, but as soon as I sat in the lounge, I felt so tired that I could not even attempt it. This morning I woke early with the sound of birdsong just outside my window, (after an 11 hour catch up sleep!), and decided that I would "catchup" on the blog before I started with Max.
And now it's mid morning, and here I am. But I have put a load of washing in the machine, caught up on 4 days of dishes that were in the sink, and put some order into my bedroom. It has taken me quite a while to download the photos, and sort out what to post and just exactly what news there has been in the last 10 days! I shall have a few sub headings as I work through this.

HARD DECISIONS

It was Monday morning, after the Pink retreat, and my schedule told me I had 3 days to get a quilt finished, get my house in order, and pack ready to leave for 4 days away by very early Thursday morning. I had booked 4 days of classes at AMQF (Australian Machine Quilting Festival), which is held in Adelaide, every 2 years.  There was to be Statler classes, with USA teacher Karen Farnsworth, (and also many other teachers and classes), and is always a great learning opportunity, and a chance to network with other quilters. I am also conscious that it is held in my State, and that I don't have to catch a plane to attend.

 But the thought of 4 days away was daunting, and I made the hard decision not to go. I still had the dilemma of having paid hundreds of dollars for the classes and accommodation with a friend had been booked. It was fortunate that I was able to "on sell" my classes to another friend who had been away not booked yet. That did take the pressure from my decision, and I certainly felt a lot lighter going into the week. I had reclaimed time and by Friday evening I had achieved lots, and was suffering from FOMO. If you are like I was, you might not have heard of this and I don't know if it is a real thing or not. In a conversation with a young person a few months ago, I was told that it meant "fear of missing out"! So I made a quick decision to attend the AMQF for one day and do just one class. I am glad I did, as it was a lovely sunny day for a drive, and I met up with lots of quilting friends, saw some amazing quilts, and learnt a lot in one class.




There were many traders in the Hall, tempting us to purchase their products, and it's always good to see the latest that is on offer. And who should I see, but our local Heather from Hubbards Kaleidescope in Bordertown, who was working on the Genesis Creations stand, selling their dyeing goodies.


And another 2 ladies from Bordertown, our Secretary and Vice President of the Gumtree Quilters!


These quilts were made by Kat Jones, from Tasmania, and the detail is amazing.




The next 2 were made by Vicki Jenkins, of Horsham, and also prize winning quilts.




The next 2 were made by Rachel Denneney, and are also amazing, prize winning quilts.


 This is Rachelle's prize winning quilt that we saw hanging in Paducah in the US, back in April.


I especially loved this quilt, made by Chris OBrien, and was Best of Show in the Royal Adelaide Show recently.


Sorry, I can't tell you who made this, but it was very striking, and so realistic.


AMQF is held in the Adelaide Convention Centre, and this is the view across the Torrens, towards the staduim, and

 ......and the bridge that crosses the river.




I had a lovely day out, instead of 4 days away, and am glad I went.

Am off to hang out the washing, and put another load in, and will be back soon.

OUT TO LUNCH

Sunday morning I went to church, and then out to lunch. Each year our local  patchwork group go out to lunch to celebrate those members who have an "0" birthday that year. This was a good time with fellow quilters, who all enjoyed a lovely lunch at a local hotel.


After lunch I spent time in my garden doing some long overdue weeding. Although there is still more work out there, it was another job that I was able to get done by staying home from the conference.

BOOKWORK 

There has been another job that was "hanging over my head" that I have finally finished, and that was getting the paper work up to date for my yearly visit to the accountant. The extra days that I reclaimed was put to good use and my 2017/18 tax return is now done!


Perhaps I should remember that we are already 3 months into the next financial year, before I get too excited.

EXPECTATIONS versus REALITY

I had my visit with the accountant yesterday, and we had lots to discuss. I have been talking a lot for quite awhile now about that "BALANCE" that I am trying to achieve in my life. So far I have not been very successful, but I now have some sort of plan going ahead. Since my post on July 23rd that was titled Circuit Breakers, this Balance thing has been weighing more heavily on my mind. Having the shingles, and then a relapse where I get tired more easily, has made me realise I can't keep up the pace I have been doing. Add that to the fact that next year, I will reach that age that they call retirement age, and I need a plan! It will be interesting to see how this pans out going ahead, and whether the expectations line up the with reality!!??

I did have a few other things to post about, but as the morning has nearly gone, they might have to wait for another day. I need to get some more work done on the large custom quilt that is on the machine, and after that one more to be ready for an exhibition in October. Then I need to do some shopping and cooking for this weekend's Pick a Case Mystery Retreat that starts on Friday.

Be back soon with more newsfromjude,

Blessings, From Jude





7 comments:

Susan Smith said...

Wow, no wonder you are tired as you pack so much into your life. I'd thought about going to ?Adelaide, but what with 2 lots of overseas visitors this year, a trip to Bordertown, then off to Queensland for 3 1/2 weeks, I decided to opt, not to go. Busy here too, but not your sort of busy. Retiring age next? Will we see what your decisions are? I hit a big 0. Ugh! Good to catch up. Take care.

Raylene Edwards said...

๐Ÿ๐Ÿ๐Ÿ Busy Busy Busy, a wise decision, re AMQF, I really enjoyed my time there. Fabulous Quilts. It certainly lightened your load so .... Out to Lunch ✅ Bookwork✅ A date with the Accountant✅. I think you’ve got BALANCE ๐Ÿ˜Š

paulineclark@Gmail.com said...

One Day @ a time they say Judy. Remember there is always someone will help you with your BALANCE. Thats what FRIENDS are for..Just need to ask.xxx

Sue SA said...

LOL I see Elaine sitting up and paying attention in class! Glad you got to have one day out with AMQF as well as getting the boring but necessary jobs done - that is striking a balance in my book. Good luck with the rest of the list of things to do though! I dont think anyone finds planning retirement easy, or even retirement itself. Taking time to think it through is a good start.

Susan said...

I really enjoyed this post, but I have to say that I'm not sure I'd have been as mature as you and dropped the classes and 4-day outing. It sounds like you are doing lots of good planning and thinking about the next step in your life, and that is never going to be a waste. Thanks for the gorgeous quilt pictures!

Jean McGee said...

Good on you Judy for putting your own needs first, instead of stressing about being away for four days, you had one day of positive input and still have time to do the other important things in your life. It isn't easy getting balance in our lives and sometimes we need to involve others to help us and you deserve a gold star ๐ŸŒŸ
Take care and enjoy life , love from Jean ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

Joy from Days Filled With Joy said...

Thanks for sharing all of this with us Judy... glad you were able to take some stress out of you life but also enjoy one day out for some quilting fun... keep looking after yourself... xx