Friday 27 December 2013

The Day after Christmas


Tradition in my extended family is a gathering the day after Christmas. The venue is usually shared around, and this year we gathered at my sister’s place at Mt Barker, a town in the hills near the city of Adelaide. As you can see, there a quite a few of us, and one brother and his family was absent. After main course, we gather around the tree for the giving out of gifts. Each person is given the name of someone to buy for, so we each receive one gift. And then we have dessert. Some of the younger family also spent some time in the swimming pool. My camera spent most of the day sitting on the table, so not a lot of photos to show you.
IMG_7291
IMG_7292
It was a 2 1/2 hour drive to my sister’s house, and then home again. Not far from home, I noticed this in the paddock alongside a parking stop. Had to turn around and go back for a photo! I think Santa may have lost his way, sure hope he had finished his delivery run  first, although the bag seems to have something in it still!
IMG_7296
You can see in the photo, that is it well and truly summer here. The farmers are almost finished the harvest, and I did see some headers in action on my drive home.
The road I travel is the main highway between the city of Adelaide (in South Australia) and Melbourne (in Victoria), and there is much traffic on that road. I saw the places where accidents have occurred, both fatal, and was reminded that Christmas was probably not good for some families. And another small town on the highway, would have been holding their breath last week, as a fire burned very close to the edge of the town. The trees along the highway are all black and bare of leaves.  A bit hard to take photos when you are the driver of the car!
I think today is the day to load another quilt, my break is over, another Christmas has been and gone. It has been lovely to spend time with family. And even the housework time was good, to see the clean windows at my house!
Will be back soon with another quilt show. Enjoy your day, whatever you are doing.
Blessings, From Jude.

No comments: