Sunday 13 November 2022

What a week it has been!!

 Here is the weekly update of newsfromjude. If I start from last Saturday which is actually 8 days, I have already posted re the day trip with Mum to see all the family. And then I have posted a couple of times during the week, with a birthday post for DD1 and then the news of the birth of Olivia! Here is a recent photo for you of DS and his 2 girls!

That takes me up to Wednesday, so only half way through the week. Thursday was a day for some housework, which included some vacuuming ready for my fairy to come back for another visit!! Oh and also a hair cut and just a bit of recovery from the jetlag of 2 long trips in a few days before there was to be another one on Friday.

I knew it was going to be an early start Friday as the alarm was set for 4am, and departure was scheduled for 5am. Lois came with me for the trip to the city for SA Quilters Festival of Quilts, which was held in conjunction with the AMQF. (Australian Machine Quilters Festival). I had received a phone call to notify me of the Awards ceremony to commence at 8.30, hence the early start! I had stated last month that I didn't think I would make the trip, as already knew that week would be busy. But, I thought about it, and knew that I would have FOMO if I didn't go. I had not entered any of my own quilts this year, but there were some customer quilts entered. I decided that a day trip was in order, although that decision did not factor in being there so early.

It was an easy trip and we made good time, arriving in the city about 8am, and then it wasn't so easy trying to find a car park. We drove around and around for 20 minutes without any success. I made a phone call to someone who knows the city better than me to see where else there might be a park station close by? This lovely lady came to where I was, and took my car to find a park so that Lois and I could get into the award ceremony by 8.30! THANK YOU Robyn.

I took lots of photos of quilts on the day, but I don't have permission to post them all, so will just show you a few from the show. There was a real buzz in the room with quilters being able to get out to a show and meet up with each other. There was a great variety of quilts and some wonderful work on display.

Pat's quilt, Bee Mindful won the Patron's award and here is Pat receiving the ribbon.




Pat had other quilts entered, and the next 2 I did get photos of, but missed seeing the other 2.



Louise's quilt won first in it's section, Pieced, small, 2 person, and there is another blue ribbon there for me.



Lois entered the quilt that she had made for her Grandson James. When she told him he could have it after it came back from the quilt show in Adelaide, he asked where and when the show was on. Lois was thrilled when he decided to come and have a look. He received an education on quilt making in the 2 hour visit, and even to seeing the quilting machine that is like mine that quilted the music notes on his quilt. (He is a piano player, hence the music notes for the quilting pattern). 



A few months ago I said I was working on a special project and would come back later with more information. This project was a Professional Development project for the SA Quilters Appraisal Panel. I did photograph the information  and hope you can read this. If not, I will come back and do another post on it another day??


This was the display of the completed items, with a description of techniques used and the resulting appraised value. As expected this caused a lot of discussion amongst the viewers.


It was hard to photograph the laminated descriptions alongside each quilt, but here are a few of the quilts......with some of the valuations that can be read......













Sometime back in September I showed these 2 photos of my start with this project. I had deliberated far too long about what technique I should do for this. I should have immediately stated I would do a wholecloth machine quilted one, which would have been done in quicker time, but then decided to get out my collection that was leftover from an embellished quilt I had made years ago. .........


......there was quite a mess on my table while trying to decide what threads and fabrics to use.....


..and this is my finish...... called Plum Crazy, that took me much longer than expected.... which resulted in a value of $610! (Machine pieced, machine embroidered, hand embellished, wing needle and pintucking, machine quilted)


We met up with Raylene, aka the fairy, at the show, and she minded all our bags for us while we had photos taken by the quilts. I won't call her the bag lady!? (She is now in residence at Bordertown for the next week.)


This quilt was made up of so many tiny stars, and did have the information on the label, but can't read it now but you can get the scale of those stars! Made by Cindy Massey and won a red ribbon.



Cindy is the queen of scraps and had a display of many of her quilts and was demonstrating how she uses scraps in many of her projects. Sorry I didn't get pics of this, but if you go to the SA Quilters facebook page you can see photos of Cindy and many of the quilts at the show.

I loved this quilt made by Chris O'Brien, and her quilting was amazing. She deserved her ribbons, which included first in the category, the Machine Quilting Award and also Runner up to Best of Show.





The Best of Show award went to Adriana Newton for this quilt, Snow Country.


All too soon it was time to head for home, after finding out where my car had been parked. This was the view near the car park of the River Torrens and the Adelaide Oval in the background. It was a very peaceful scene on Friday, but a storm rolled in on Saturday and things were very different.


On the way home we called into Mum's for a cuppa and enjoyed many laughs and great conversations. 


Saturday was recovery day, and a bit of time was spent with Max and we enjoyed the company of some friends that called in. The weather had turned much colder and wet again, and it was time to light the fire again!! A fire in November?? This morning it was church time and this afternoon time on the computer. The next 2 days will be more sorting and packing, ready for another trip up the highway to be "the shop" at the SA Quilters Daytime meeting on Wednesday!! That will make a total of 4 trips in 10 days! Just as well I like driving.

That's all for this post. Have a good week.

Blessings, From Jude














10 comments:

ButterZ said...

You must admit that it is best to be busier than the last couple of years in lockdown. We’re we really that busy a few years ago.
Beautiful quilts on display. Hello fairy

dq said...

Tell Pat congrats from me. It is GORGEOUS!! She doesn't blog, does she?

Susan Smith said...

My goodness, what a week. Well done all on the ribbons & now it must be time to relax, though this weather makes that hard. Take care & hugs.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Things are just getting back to normal here in Ontario, Canada just as they are calling for mask wearing again. Meanwhile, I enjoyed reading your post so much. All the quilters so talented with their beauties and fun times for you meeting with friends and family.

loulee said...

Wow, so much to see. Thank you for sharing all the beautiful quilts.

Raylene Edwards said...

Run, run as fast as you can, just watch out for that wall. An amazing quilt show, more ribbons on that curtain, well done, also ribbons for some Gum Tree members, go Bordertown 🏅. One more trip up the highway & I hope you can spend time in the chair with a good book 📕🔥 can’t say about a fire 😉

Karen's Korner said...

Congratulatons to all those who help create those gorgeous quilts.

Janice said...

A very busy week indeed. The quilt show looked fabulous. Congrats on the wins

Maria said...

You sure have been keep busy.
Thanks for sharing all those beautiful quilts .
Congratulations to all the winnners.

Jean McGee said...

Congratulations on your new grand baby, the family is growing fast with precious little ones. You had a busy trip to town once again, the quilts were all beautiful and well done Pat on your win . Lucky you were home before the storm on Saturday, what a day that was.
Enjoy having your fairy helping out, just make sure she behaves herself and doesn't get into mischief !
Take care, 😍😍🌺🌺