Wednesday 30 November 2022

Last week.....

 I seemed to have kept up with posts for most of November, so this is a short post. Most of the week has been spent with Max working on a custom quilt, and I am pleased to say I finished this yesterday. Photos will wait until I do another quilt post.

Today has been a mostly desk day, replying to emails and paying accounts and all those necessary admin jobs. This morning it was Bible Study time and we are studying Leviticus this term and there is much to learn and discuss. This afternoon I did some shopping and had a doctor appointment.

Last Saturday turned into an impromptu sewing day for a few, with girls coming and going throughout the day. Lois came with a top for me to quilt, and ended up going down a rabbit hole. She had a picture of a quilt she intended to make and some of the fabric she needed. I think she only wanted an opinion, but before she left Pat and I had helped her choose another piece to add in, calculated the measurements for her and even cut some of her pieces with the Go Cutter. Which then led to her sewing most of her half square triangle units before she left!!


Pat was working on the blocks for her President's Challenge, and Val came to help me with a quilt.


I was planning a string quilt for a special event, and Val ended up making half of the blocks I needed.


Later in the day, after everyone else had left I made the rest of the blocks in an evening stitching while 'watching' a movie.


I was thinking about how and what to use for sashing and made up this unit, but wasn't quite sure???


After sending photos for opinions I came up with option 2, and we were all much happier. The black defines the on point squares much better.


Next choice was to the border.......


...... and this was the final result.


I also have some plans to add some 'bling' of some sort, probably before the quilter gets her hands on it? So that's another decision to make sometime.

A lot of time has been spent in the back garden this week, in an effort to make up for the recent neglect. Not long ago it was tidy and weed free after some spraying and week kill, but then it kept raining, the weeds grew again and due to being busy and the weather being cold....
....this is what it looked like!!


I am spending quite a few early mornings in the garden and progress, although slow, is happening.


I can't believe that today is the last day of November!! December and the first day of Summer?? After such cold and wet, it will climb to 35deg by the weekend!  One month to go and it will be 2023.

That's about it for this post. Bet you are shocked it's so short? 
There are plans for the next few days and I shall be back soon with news of plans for 2023.

Blessings, From Jude





9 comments:

loulee said...

Love that black and white string quilt.

Karen's Korner said...

Your sewing room is always a hive of activity. Great work on the black and white string quilt. Rain does that to gardens. The happiest day of my life was when we sold our house with the 1/4 acre block and moved to where we are now. No more weeds.

ButterZ said...

Looks like a fun day. Your string quilt is good and I do like the sashings..

Raylene Edwards said...

Typical of No. 8, girls just getting caught in that revolving door & working on projects with such good results. The black & white strings make quite a statement. I’m looking forward to see-ing it embellished with your skills & hearing of the ‘Special Event’ for which it’s destined. You’re full of surprises. Glad to see you are taming that garden, what a bounty of your strawberries ๐Ÿ“

Jean McGee said...

Another newsy post, love the string quilt it can be arranged in many different ways. It's lovely having girls drop in at different times, makes your life interesting and never boring. The weather is changing slowly but I hope the rain stops in the eastern states to give those people a chance to get their lives back after the floods.
Take care ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

Susan Smith said...

Love that string quilt which might lead me down a rabbit hole now we are home again. WEEDS!!............they have gone mad this year & I've not even got my veg garden started & the blueberries are just showing slight colour. I've usually handed out several punnets by now, so hope there will be plenty in time for my Xmas round of our court. Take care & hugs.

kiwikid said...

Wonderful black and white string quilt - you ladies get busy when you get together!!

Janice said...

Another busy week with lots of happenings and visitors to Number 8. The string quilt is looking good.

Maria said...

Busy GTG and you made a great B/W string blocks.
Like the sashng.
Nice to see you on Zoom Saturday.