Sunday 4 February 2018

MY NEWS!!!

It all started one Sunday morning last July, when an email landed in my inbox, from a friend in Adelaide. This had never really been on my bucket list plan, (and I don't have a bucket list anyway), but it did tick a lot of boxes if I was ever going to do it, so it got me thinking very hard. A few phone calls later, to some family members, and friends, and a trip to my accountant, and to the local GP and I decided to put my name on the list!

What list you ask? The email told of a forthcoming tour to the US, and a quilting tour no less! The itinerary mentioned Paducah quilt show, the Grand Ole Oprey house at Nashville, Missouri Star Quilt co., Amish country, and lots and lots of quilt shops. And an organised tour, with some people I knew. There are 21 of us going, mostly from South Australia, including 3 of us from Bordertown. There was a "cut-off" when 21 was reached, and a few on the waiting list. Unfortunately a couple of friends have had to withdraw from the tour, and they will be missed. And it was a nice surprise when I received a text message with the following photo a few days later.


At the Christmas in July retreat "Santa" gave me a special gift.....so I think I should be able find my luggage with a bright pink tag.


My desk currently looks like this with an accumulation of "stuff" and paper work. 


I have never travelled overseas before, and am finding it all a bit daunting, and maybe even scary?? I am wondering "what have I done"? When I put my name on the list, it seemed ages away and was "next year". But all of a sudden, (maybe that's an exaggeration), it is 10 WEEKS away!!!
I now have my first ever passport, and am trying to sort out luggage, carry on luggage, what clothes to pack, comfortable shoes for walking, applying for a visa, money, exchange rates, credit cards, vaccinations, dentist appointments, medications, another visit to the haemotologist, finish customer quilts, hold retreats, and in the middle of all this, "Bro" should arrive! (I think that sentence might be a tad long!) I know, one day at a time is what I would say to someone!?

Today I went to Adelaide to meet with others on the tour for a lunch and information session. Lots of questions and things to think about. I took the camera and was intending for a photo, but forgot all about it. My recent purchase of the little laptop/tablet is intended for me to be able to blog each day of the trip, (because SOMEONE told me I have to post every day!) and as a record for the next book. But there is a learning curve to this, using something small and sorting how I am going to get the photos up. It needed to be light enough to carry around.

The last few months have been busier than normal, with some extra retreats added to the schedule, and more quilting done, to help the bank balance. And there are some people I need to thank for their contribution to the fund, (and they will know who they are), as without their help, I would never have made it. And I have received some special gifts along the way, so THANKYOU to all.

We have 3 flights to get to Nashville, so will be a bit "plane dead" by the time we arrive. And then we will be travelling on a bus for 2 weeks, before doing the plane thing in reverse. I think we gain a day going one way, and lose the other way!!

I think I have raved on long enough and it must be bed time after a lovely day trip to the city. I did manage to do some damage in the shoe shop and walked out with 3 pairs, so have 10 weeks to decide which ones are the best to take. Better get busy with the quilts again in the morning, and do some watering. It is going to be another HOT week.

Blessings, From Jude



8 comments:

Sue SA said...

So excited for you Jude, I know it will be great fun, but the preparation does sound a bit daunting for those who have never been overseas! Look forward to reading about it all on your blog...no pressure!

Michele Hill said...

It is so very exciting and so wonderful you can do the trip Jude....and with great company too. I would love to have joined you but instead like many others we will travel with you via the blog!! You can do it......I know the pressure to please others but I know how much pleasure it brings those who can't travel too.......maybe it was more than just some'ONE' that is looking forward to your photos too!! Hugs xx

Raylene Edwards said...

This trip will be absolutely amazing for you. Before you know it, all the preparations will be done - then there is the FUN!! Some experiences in life are meant to be. ✈️

Chookyblue...... said...

Omg that is so exciting ..... Yes you have to blog everyday......

Alison B said...

Such a wonderful adventure. Take photos and blog for your records but don't forget to stop and smell the roses too - if you miss a blog or two - you'll have the photos to catch up with later. Enjoy this experience and soak it all in.

Jean McGee said...

I have just caught up on your last few blogs,I know it's a bit overwhelming preparing for an overseas trip, especially if it's your first, but you will have a great time and probably want to go again in the future.
I wil, be following your journey via the blogs you send us.
Love, Jean😀

Joy from Days Filled With Joy said...

I am so excited for you Judy! I know you will have a wonderful time!! The plan trip isn't going to be much fun, but it will all be worth it :) Looking forward to being there with you via your blog posts!! xx

Gloria N. said...

Oh - lucky you! I went on a quilting bus tour to Paducah a couple of years ago. Absolutely loved it! Make sure your shoes are comfortable.