Friday 13 May 2016

Wild weather, wild animals, and more.....

The week that was, started with some very wild, windy, and just a bit wet weather. The whole state was under a weather alert, and there was a king tide around the coast. I have seen lots of photos in the news, of damage to jetty's and shacks, and flooding due to the weather. I feel that my little bit of damage is really very inconsequential compared to those reports. My brush fence that I put up in my back yard has been blown down by the strong winds. I did know that it was not really secure, and should have done something about it, but..... it was one of those "gunnado" jobs! I think the plants have survived though.


The following photo was taken in October last year, when this garden was first planted.


And this one was end of November, when the bark fence went up.


And a pergola full of leaves was easily fixed with the broom. Could have had trees down and lots more damage, so am very thankful.



This is the view in my back, back yard, which was hidden by that brush fence. It was out of sight, out of mind before, but not any longer! A lot of this is rubbish from the renovations, and trees and garden stuff that could be burnt. Which is another "gunna do" job. When this is cleared, maybe I could dig up the yard and plant some vegetables?? A girl can only dream, can't she?


Everything, including the kitchen sink!



These are the last photos of the African trip, as they arrived back home on Wednesday. It was an amazing trip they said, and they saw and learnt so much. These photos were taken on their phones, and the ones on the camera are much better, and number about 2,000 so I look forward to seeing those.




Another year has turned over for me this week, and I received lots of lovely cards, flowers, phone calls, presents, and visitors. The years are speeding by, and it hardly seems like any time since my "0" birthday 2 years ago.






It was also Angels sewing day the next day, and the girls brought lunch and a cake for me. BUT, those 2 candles in the middle, just did not want to blow out!! Thankyou girls.


I have done a few allover quilting jobs, and today I loaded this beauty. It might be on awhile, and I can see lots of SID in my future! I am hoping it will "talk" to me as I do the stitch in the ditch.


I also spent time today sorting out forms for Quilt Valuations. The Quilters Guild of SA Valuation Panel are coming to Bordertown in June to value quilts here. We have about 34 on the list to be done, and I am collecting the paperwork for this.


While I was standing at Max this afternoon, I looked outside and this was my view. The sun had come out today, after a gloomy weather week, and it looked so nice with the sun glinting in the garden. (Is glinting a word??) So I decided it was time to walk outside and catch the sun. Took the camera and snapped some flowers while I was out.





This swing has been around for 42 years, and I have been told not to give it away. So as it hardly ever gets used, it is now a pot plant stand!


We did have one little person sit on the swing a couple of months ago, and if she comes back, I think I could remove the plants pretty quickly. Might need to get the oil can out too!!


A lone dahlia in bloom.







Ranaculi are just coming up through the ground, and I am looking forward to these flowering.


Lots of bulbs, (and a few sour sobs) in amongst the violets, as well.


These primulas seem to be very happy where they are planted, right outside my door.


I am glad I worked hard to get the garden mostly planted, as it should be full of flowers soon. There is more work to be done outside "one day", but now I have quite a few inside jobs for awhile.

That's all the newsfromjude for this week. I am expecting a visit from GD1 in the morning for granny to give her some sewing help with a school project (?) Be back next week. Enjoy your weekend, whatever you might be doing.

Blessings, From Jude




3 comments:

Susan Smith said...

The wind has certainly been damaging hasn't it? 2 houses in our street had tiles blown off and our side fence at the front really needs fixing as it may go over in the next lot of winds. Your garden will look lovely come spring. Oh, another custom and I look forward to seeing the finished result. Have a good weekend and take care.

Sue SA said...

Your garden is looking lovely. The windy has been wooly, glad it was only the fence, hope someone can fix that easily for you? Swings are special when you are a kid, I think that one will be in demand for a few years yet!

Jean McGee said...

A belated happy birthday Judy glad you had a good day. It was pretty stormy here at Semaphore with waves crashing over the jetty and coming up from underneath as well, parts of the Port near the river were flooded as usual with a king tide and strong winds. A pity the fence blew over and you have to see the stuff hiding behind but your garden looks a picture and is a credit to you.
See you later in the year, love Jean 🌻😀