Wednesday 20 May 2020

Where has the last 2 weeks gone?

My intentions have been good about doing a blog post, and realise that it will be 2 weeks tomorrow since I did post. So this morning I will try to sort out just what newsfromjude there is to report on. I do have a few quilt photos to share, so will start there while I try to remember what else there might be to include in this post.

First is a Cat in the Hat quilt, made by Jacci. This was quilted allover with a pattern I have called Cat in  Hat, and features many of the features of the fabric.



Jacci also made this quilt with the remaining fabrics, and I just used a texture pattern for this one called Inside Out, as the quilt is so busy on it's own.



Pat made this small child's quilt, using fairy fabric, and I used a pattern called Angel Wings for this.



Mandy made this quilt with pretty floral fabrics, and it was quilted allover with a pattern called Roseleaves.



This quilt, made by Lyn, and features paper pieced dolphins. It was quilted allover with a pattern called Curling Waves.



I do have some more photos of customer quilting but will save that for another post.

I recently posted this photo of a bag full of scraps, that had been sitting in my studio for many years. It was one of those "one day" jobs, to sort out the contents. As it was something that I wasn't going to have time for anytime soon, I gave it to a friend, who told me what a treasure it was.


She has spent many hours sorting, pressing and cutting these pieces and found a teddy bear print in the dark depths, so used this as the centre piece for a child's quilt.


 Much later she showed me what she has made with just some of those pieces. It just goes to show how one person's "leftovers" is someone else's treasures! Now I just have to work out what else in this well stocked house of mine, that I can pass on to someone who will make good use of it. When you really stop and think, those little pieces of fabric all add up to the same price per metre that we pay for a whole piece of fabric. I do hate to throw bits out, which is why it was still stored in the dark depths of my room.


In between getting some customer quilts done, I have also loaded some of the Angel's quilts onto Max. They have now been given out to other angels to add the binding and labels and will soon be ready for donation to someone. We still have a small stock here, even though the group has not been meeting during our isolation time. One day, perhaps things will start to open up again? (But that will mean I have to clear up my mess and put my machine away again!!)

I do enjoy time in the kitchen, but don't really need to cook that much with just me in the house, and no visitors staying over at present. So it is good to be able to pull food out of the freezer to give to others, so I had a bakeup of scones and biscuits.



 It was lovely to receive a visit from DD1 and 2 of her children on Mothers Day. I have not seen this family since January, so it was very special that she drove 3 1/2 hours to here,and then back home again. We had afternoon tea outside in the pergola with more than adequate social distancing and enjoyed our catchup. It was a good opportunity to take some of that cooking from my freezer to send home with them. (I have not seen the rest of my family since the wedding we attended back in February!) Am waiting for a big family catchup, one day!


I received this ceramic cup from DD3 for Mother's Day, and it sure does keep a hot drink hot for longer than the time it takes to have afternoon tea. I don't think anyone else will think this belongs to them, do you? (Unless their name is the same as mine, that is).


As well as Mother's Day celebrations, I have also turned another year older, and we shared a cuppa with morning tea. Thanks girls, it was lovely to be able to have other people into my house for the first time, as some restrictions are gradually being lifted.


 I received some lovely gifts and cards, and one friend thoughtfully gave me a 12 pack, in case there is another shortage one day!! (I have now reached that age when the government classify me as an 'Old Age Pensioner')


In between all of the above, I did spend a couple of hours in this place one evening, but after a tablet and an injection, things settled down. A good night's sleep helped and thankyou Pauline for being there for me.


I better finish off this post and get to some work. I have another large custom quilt loaded onto Max, so need to make a start. I WILL be back soon with another post of some of my own sewing that I have been doing, and some more custom quilting photos. 

Blessings, From Jude


4 comments:

Susan Smith said...

A belated Happy Birthday & congrats on joining the OAP club which I've been a member of for nearly 6 years now.(ha, ha). Lots of lovely quilting there & your first one is familiar, as I quilted a cat in the hat panel a long time ago for somebody. Hope you are feeling better. Take care, stay safe & huggles.

Raylene Edwards said...

It’s difficult to be fully functional when woken from the Land of Nod! I had read your blog, & once again I’m amazed how much you achieve. That To Do list keeps on keeping on, but lovely to see you have been slotting in some Me Time 🎂

Maxine S said...

Good to finally hear from you - I’ve been patiently waiting but didn’t want to nag! I love to see all the beautiful quilts that you work on - I keep hoping osmosis will work and I will get on with some of mine! VBG

Sue SA said...

Glad your have been able to have some face to face contact with family and friends. Its nice to have sewing time, but it gets a bit boring on your own! Glad that it was a simple fix at hossie, hope it doesnt happen again any time soon. Belated Happy birthday wishes!