Sunday 24 May 2020

My Recent Sewing Time...................

Time for an update of the sewing that I have been doing for myself during isolation. Perhaps I should say Isewlation? I think I have mentioned that I was making a quilt called This Little Piggy from The Red Boot Quilt Company, and this will be for Miss Billie.  








I have got it to this stage now, and still have a border to add, and that decision is still to be made. And then of course, I wonder how long it will be in the quilter's queue? I need to make sure she gets it before she gets too old to think it's cute? By she, I mean Miss Billie, not the quilter?!)


I have also been working on another quilt, Paper Dolls, also from The Red Boot Quilt Company. This is a free pattern which is being released over a few months. I do want to get this together before the patterns are all released, so will be adding my own touch to it. This quilt will be for Miss Bridie, who has a birthday in July. Better prepare the quilter for this one first.




All the animals in the quilt above, and the people in this one need eyes on them. I was a bit concerned about buttons for little people, but their mum's seem pretty happy about buttons, so that's what it will be. But there is another dilemma regarding the mouths, and those nostrils for the pigs above!! If you have been reading newsfromjude for any length of time, you will know that I am not a hand sewer!! Have to decide if it's time for me to try, or it will be quicker I think, if those details are drawn on with a pen???


This is where I am up to now, having 12 blocks fused, with 8 stitched down, and 12 to sew. I will add sashes of squares between each block to make the quilt larger, and then a border fabric has been chosen. (I will arrange the blocks differently after I have finished the stitching.)


This is a messy job, all this tracing, and fusing and cutting, before I even get to the stitching.


I suppose this is what the kindy rooms look like at the end of each day. Just as well I have the whole room to myself, and no-one coming to see my mess.


After these 2 have been finished, I have another of Red Boot's patterns called Windy Hill Farm, that I purchased to make 2 quilts for Mr Tate and Mr Jett. This might not happen until next year though, as I might be "appliqued out" for awhile. It is a fiddly process, although they are cute. I might need some quicker "piecing" fixes after this. I need to make good use of my weekends, that are now spare, while there are no retreats happening at Number eight.

As a change in scenery in the middle of all the above, I wanted to make something for a friend's birthday. After having this machine for 18 months, I had not really had much of a play with the lovely stitches it has, so I wanted to try them out. I had a plan in my mind of a crazy cushion cover, and was looking for just the right fabrics, and in the dark depths of the shelves, I found a panel of Bible verses that was meant for a fabric book. I had purchased it with intentions to make it into a wall hanging, but it had turned out to be one of those "gunna do"jobs that had not happened yet. And it even had the matching fabrics with it, so my plans changed. As it turned out, I really only got to try one stitch out, as it is slower than straight stitch, as this "queen of the last minute" only had a couple of hours to make the cushions as the birthday was the next day!! - Probably just as well I did not start a crazy patchwork cushion cover, because I wouldn't have done that in 2 hours.


I did enjoy the process, and hope my friend will enjoy them too. (Note to self - make time more often to just play).


 It has been a quiet Sunday, spent inside by the heater with my morning spent "going" to a few church services. You really have to take note, when you hear 2 sermons from different places, and they both give similar messages. One was about "The Promise Keeping God", and another saying that "God's Promises do not change", even in our ever changing world. They are true, we can rely on and trust them, and they are the same yesterday, today and forever. And for that I am very thankful. Amen.


That's about all the newsfromjude for now,

Blessings, From Jude




















2 comments:

Sue SA said...

I would not use buttons on a childs quilt, too much of a risk. I would suggest you try machine quilting or just machine stitching the face details in, eg black or dark brown thread of eyes and a pink/mushroom colour for noses. I have drawn face details on fabric dolls previously with Pigma pens but if you muck it up you cannot unpick it, LOL!
They are both lovely quilts and nice to do something different even if it does make a mess!

Raylene Edwards said...

Those are such cute quilts, grandies will love them, & they will be treasured forever. You are like Mary Poppins, you can find something so suitable for any occasion at a moments notice. Not like us city slickers, who need a dash to the shops!! No shops to dash to at the moment!!!