Saturday 8 September 2018

Catching up on 2 weeks

Except for my very brief note a few days ago, it is almost 2 weeks since a post. I have downloaded recent photos, and been trying to think about that 2 weeks. A lot has happened in that time, although not all is photographed for the record, therefore some notes will be brief.

Since I arrived back from Melbourne, I have worked my way through some quilts, with one custom taking most of a week. I am now working on a few that need to be finished for an exhibition in October. I shall post quilt photos in a separate post in a few days.

I have finished a few more mystery quilts for the cases, and they are at the checking fairy being corrected and counted. Again, no photos. There are still 2 more Pick a Case Mystery quilt retreats before the end of the year, so will have to get onto them again soon.

I have been spending some time outside, in my very neglected garden. We have seen some sunshine, and I can see and smell signs of spring when I step outside the door. I do have some photos. It is amazing what nature can produce even during times of neglect.




These poor stocks have flowered in the pots in which they were purchased, in spite of  never being planted in the ground. Another sign of good intentions.








True confessions now, and this corner was the worst one, and has now been tidied. And I do have a very large pile of sour sobs, which were flowering profusely in the front yard. I admit they do add some colour to the garden, although unwanted.


I reported on my pink buying spree in Melbourne, and there have been lots of donations from others over the last few months, ......


..............and I have been adding to the collection in one of the bedrooms, and this is what it looked like. It all needed to be sorted and listed, ready for the auctions that we hold each year at the pink retreat.


This is how it all looks now, with only a few more items to be added. Thanks to all those who have contributed these goodies, which will be auctioned to the highest bidder, with all funds donated to the Breast Cancer Network. Looking forward to next weekend.


I did spend some time last Sunday on a sewing project. I have seen pictures on line of the Jelly Roll Rugs, and thought they would be a good way to use up some of the fabric that I have in my house. I do fancy having a few of these rugs on the floor, beside each bed, and they would be very fitting for a patchworker's home!?? So I found some pink, (how appropriate!), fabric of varying lengths, and set to work.



The stitching does not bear close scrutiny, and it was tricky at first to go around the corners, but I am happy with my first attempt. A very good use of scraps that you aren't in love with I think. And completely washable in the machine if they get dirty.

 Another event was the Gum Tree Quilters General meeting, that was preceded by a Pizza tea. This was our first meeting in our new location, and we are all very happy with the move. This Publicity Officer should have taken some photos to record the occasion, and didn't. Maybe my mind was not "on the job" as I had been to Murray Bridge and back that day, before arriving back in time to heat the pizzas in my oven and attending the meeting.

It was Fathers Day last Sunday, and I had intended driving to see my dad. Plans were changed when I needed to be in Murray Bridge on the Monday for a funeral, so we had Fathers Day the day after instead. The funeral was for the mother of one of my school friends, and while a funeral is not something to rejoice in, it is a chance to catch up with people that you have sometimes not seen for years. It certainly gave me lots to think about on the 2 hour journey home, as I thought about years of long ago.

That about covers the newsfromjude for now, it is time for bed, ready for another day tomorrow. After church I need to do some cooking and more preparation for next weekend. The week will disappear fast, with another trip up the highway in the middle of it. The skates will be on for the next 2 months, and then I look forward to a quieter time until next year. Yikes, did I say next year, already??

Blessings, From Jude

3 comments:

Sue SA said...

I have been folllowing the jelly rug trend with interest also. How wide did you just cut scraps of wadding? Have you seen the rectangle ones? Certainly a lot easier in th beginning, but not sure how the turn corner!

Raylene Edwards said...

That’s a super N.F.J. it deserves capital letters. The garden’s done well, love to see the PINK daisies inside this weekend. You have been extremely busy with great results. All us Retreaters really appreciate everything you do to make our visits such an enjoyable experience, so heartfelt THANK YOU 💕🌸

Jean McGee said...

Love the jelly roll rug, good way to use up some stash. Pretty colours in your garden, especially the ones still in the punnets!
Looking forward to the Pink Weekend coming up.
Jean ����