Monday 14 August 2017

My weekend

Just a quick post this morning before I get busy with my day. There is to be a bit, lot of cleaning happening soon as this has been ignored while I have been working through the queue. And some cooking is also on the agenda for this week, in preparation for next weekend's Mystery retreat, when 10 ladies arrive. Can't wait to see what quilts they pick to make.

As I showed in the last post, I had chosen backings for my quilts that need quilting. Saturday morning I measured the quilts, and took the quantity of backing needed to place with the tops. All was good until I was folding up the grey swirl backing and look what I found, right in the centre!! Not ideal is it? It is in the laundry, and being sprayed with stain remover, and I am hoping it will wash out. I have my doubts, as it does not look to be disappearing yet. As it is my own quilt, I will still use it, and maybe it will be covered with a label?? Maybe I could cut that section out, and have a join in the centre?? We will see. If it was a customer quilt, I would not use it. 


I decided to load my Fractured Circles quilt first, and planned a simple custom. And this is how it looked loaded onto Max. I know you all remove the threads from your tops, before you take it to the quilter don't you? This is one job I confess to leaving to my quilter!



And this is how it looked very late Sunday afternoon, after I had trimmed the edges. I had planned on making binding with all the leftover fabrics, but that did not happen, yet. I am not all that happy with the curved piecing on this, but it is almost finished and will keep some one warm. I started this in 2008 when Lessa Siegele came to Bordertown to do a workshop. It was November and I remember this because it was the day I arrived home after finishing 6 weeks of radiotherapy.


I have decided to call it Noughts and Crosses, unless someone has a better idea? I always struggle with names for the quilts. 


I went to church on Sunday morning, and then went shopping, to buy supplies for next weekend's retreat.I have hardly been outside all week, and was pleasantly surprised yesterday to see some blue sky and sunshine. It even felt warm out, the birds were singing, and I saw a couple of daffodils in bloom. Maybe spring is on it's way?? I spent some time out, pulling some weeds and tidying up in the front yard.

 And after lunch I was visited by Miss Bridie and her mum. I have not seen them recently, so still had a birthday gift here for Bridie. Here you can see her mum putting it together, while Bridie helps to hold the bag with the screws in it.


Now it' time to try out the blackboard side. The other side is a white board, and also has a roll of paper for drawing.


 Bridie's mum is in Bordertown working for the next 4 weeks, and the 2 grandma's are doing Bridie minding duty. I have her this week for some of the time, so there might be lots of drawing, playing, cooking, and maybe some outside time, on the agenda. And not a lot of quilting. At 2 years old, she is probably a bit young to show her sewing yet??

Have a good week, whatever you are doing, and wherever you are.

Blessings, From Jude


2 comments:

Susan Smith said...

The quilt looks great & the "piecing" is fine. We've lots of bulbs out in town already, though not so much here at my place. Now that little blackboard looks familiar as I think it the same as one DD's kids have. Enjoy the week with Miss Bridie & take care. BTW, it's off the machine & waiting for binding.

Sue SA said...

How precious to have Miss Bridie locally for two whole weeks, enjoy! The fractured circle quilt looks good to me, perhaps a solid blue binding? Is the binding fairy coming to stay next weekend?