Sunday 23 July 2017

Quilt photos again

As promised in a previous blog post, here are closeup photos of the 2 quilts that were hanging at The Festival of Quilts in Adelaide last weekend. As they were going into the show, I did not post photos of these on the blog earlier.

The first is the one I quilted for Melann's shop. The navy strips have circles appliqued and embellished with an embroidery machine. I loaded this quilt with the length going from side to side, and quilted the 6 pieced strips with 3 different background fills, and put more circles in the background of the embroidered circles. This is a very large quilt, that had a pellon stabilizer underneath, and no extra wadding was added.







And here is Cathie's quilt again, with closeup photos of the quilting.


The centre star was all hand pieced, and then appliqued to the background fabric. Cathie's instructions to me, were that she did not want lots of heavy quilting, so I had to put my thinking cap on and work out what to do on each block, without lots of background fill, and still fill the open areas. Lots of quilts are heavily quilted these days, and certainly many show quilts, and I do this too on some of my own quilts. I have another large needle turned quilt to do soon, and this owner also does not want heavy background fill. And a lot of my customers specify "not dense" when they bring quilts for allover quilting.





Now I seem to have a backlog of other quilts, that have not been blogged, and it is over a month since I posted any photos of quilting, so it is time for a catchup. (And I apologise if I have posted any of these before.)

This is Joan's quilt, and quilted allover with a pattern called Merrily. As with other members of our local group, she is working on finishing lots of PHD's ready for our exhibition in October.



This was made by Jenny, and quilted allover with a Modern Curves pattern.



Linda made this quilt many years ago, and had intended to hand quilt it. Life got busier, and she decided that finished would be good, and it was quilted allover with a pattern called Rose Leaves.



Another made by Cathie, for her daughter, and quilted allover with Gingko Garden.



That's about all for now, although there are still about 20 quilts in the files. It is time to head out the door and go to church. The rest of the day will be spent doing my "stuff". Yesterday I loaded one of my quilts, and hope to finish that today. I spent a little time in the garden, and maybe some more toady? And then I hope to get back to piecing of that hexagon quilt, that I was working on a month or so ago. Too many things I want to finish, and I am also on a time line to get some PHD's finished for our exhibition. I have made a list, and aim to cross some things off. Tomorrow it will be back to Max and a lineup of mainly custom quilting for awhile. But each weekend, I am setting aside for me, at least until the next retreat in August!!??

Blessings, From Jude


3 comments:

Jean McGee said...

Some beautiful quilting Judy, you certainly enhance the beauty of these quilts and respect the work that goes into making them. You are a legend! 😍😍😍

Susan Smith said...

Beautiful work by the customer and quilter. I'm looking forward to seeing some of your finished PHD's for the local show. Take care.

Joy from Days Filled With Joy said...

Cathie's quilt is just beautiful! You did an amazing job with the quilting xx