Sunday 30 July 2017

Another weekend is over......


Here it is Sunday evening again, and I have the laptop on my lap, for a catchup blog post. Recently I made the decision to spend weekends doing my own things, when I was not away, or having a retreat here.  I have a big quilt on Max at the moment, that needs to be finished soon, so I decided to quilt for half a day yesterday, and then get my hexagon quilt out of the box.

I was putting "stuff" away, and came across the bolt of fabric I purchased to use as my background for my "Dear William" quilt. This quilt is a fair way down on my "to do" list, but I was curious to see what the applique pieces would look like on that fabric, so I cut out 2 squares. I had already cut out most of the applique pieces, and they are all in their relevant paper bags in a box, just waiting. Before I knew it, I was at the iron and laying them out in their positions and pressed them on, as you can see below. Michele's design has more elements in the blocks than you can see here, but I have decided to leave some out, so that my quilter has more space to be creative!?



I love the shine of the background fabric, and am very pleased with my purchase. This square has been put back into the box, to wait until after our local exhibition in October, as it will take more time to finish than I have in the next  few months.


It was late afternoon before I finally got to these blocks. You can see the creases from being rolled up on a sheet since the last time I worked on them.


And this is my progress, by mid Sunday afternoon. I have sewn rows together, and even sewn 4 rows into one section. The rows have been numbered, and are all laid out now, waiting for me. I considered finishing this today, but sewing set in seams is a bit slower than a straight row. If I leave it by the machine, and not packed up in a box, maybe I can make time to sew the rows together?? I think some evening sewing could be my future??


 It was then time to cut the strips of fabric ready for another Antelope Canyon quilt. Now I need to cut these strips into sections and label them ready for next weekend, when I hope to sew them together.

This is what I am working on at the moment. A quilt full of the most amazing needleturn applique. I can't even comprehend how anyone can do such small stitching. Lots of SID in my life at present.



Even the zigzag border is needleturned!!


And you can see from the ruler, that the stems on this flower are only 1/8" wide!!


I "borrowed" the next 2 photos from facebook this week, and Miss Bridie is nursing a sleepy lizard, and looks really pleased about it. She is also sporting an injury from a collision with the bookcase.


On Friday it was 2 years since she was born, and here she is blowing out her candles. I can't believe it is 2 years already. She is growing up so fast. I have not seen her for a while, but am looking forward to her spending some time here in August.


That's about all the newsfromjude for now. Almost time for bed, ready for another busy week.

Blessings, From Jude

3 comments:

Gloria N. said...

you are an inspiration! I'm sure I don't know how you get so much accomplished, I don't think you sleep! Lol.
And that applique quilt is just beautiful. I wonder how long your quilter took to finish that?

Susan Smith said...

Well done making time for your own projects. Wow, the quilt on the machine is amazing, & your job with it is going to be a lot of work too. I wouldn't attempt the needleturn or the quilting of it either. Poor Miss Bridie & her nose and I can't believe that she is now 2. Take care.

Jean McGee said...

Good on you for giving some time to do some of your own projects. the needleturning on that beautiful quilt is just amazing, I can appreciate the time and effort that goes into those tiny little stitches and I am sure your quilting will enhance it's beauty. Miss Bridie is growing fast. Regards, Jean 😀