Sunday 7 July 2019

Festival of Quilts in Adelaide

It is Quilt show week in South Australia so I have been in the city for a few days. Wednesday was Judging Day, and as one of the 3 judges I saw some amazing quilts "up close". I know we are all "quilt judges" when we walk around a quilt show, and people often wonder why a quilt did not win a prize when another one did. I did spend some time during the day out of the judging room when quilts that I had worked on came up in that category, so it was a surprise when ribbons came my way.

The Festival of Quilts was opened on Friday morning by Greg Alexander, General Manager of Bernina and Mrs Lan Le, the Governor of SA's wife, who is Patron of the SA Quilters Guild. The opening was followed by the presentation of awards to the winners. There were many amazing quilts, and they don't all receive a ribbon, but just to see your quilt hanging in a state show makes everyone a winner. The Guild committee are to be congratulated on a great display.


Rachelle Denneny won Best of Show with her quilt, Green Eyed Monster.


Runner up to Best of Show is Annette McRae with her quilt, The Tide is Out.


Mrs Lan Le gave her Patron's award to Glenys Elliot for her quilt "My Bed of Roses".
(This is one of the show quilts that I have recently quilted, and not posted photos of, but a catch up quilt show will happen soon.)


There was one really excited lady this week after she received a phonecall from the committee to attend the presentation because she had won something. Kerryn said she had never won a ribbon before so couldn't believe it, and when a first prize ribbon was announced she was over the moon!
Her quilt, called "Autumn Breeze" is a Rachelle Denneny design called Summerfield. This is another quilt that I shall post more photos of soon.



There were many fantastic quilts that I have photographed, but am unable to post on the blog, unless I have the permission of the owner. Here is a few, and I have posted the label details, followed by the quilt photo.



















I took this picture just to show you how a quilter demonstrates a new technique that she has just learnt, when you don't have any fabric on hand!


The Quilt show theme was Tropical, and this lady was dressed to demonstrate this!


Each of the judges displayed one of their quilts, and here is their work.



The little quilt on the far left belongs to this lady, and I asked her to stand along side her younger face for a new picture.



Fleur Maddern, from Little Desert Quilts is very involved in "Art Quilts Around the World" and had a display along one wall of her work.



Sorry this picture is a bit blurry, but is the only one I have of Rachelle's display. Rachelle Denneny was the "Quilter in Residence" at the show and had an amazing display of many of her quilts. (Rachelle will be opening the Bordertown Quilt Show in October, and will have some of her quilts on display there also.)


The Orange Tree Quilters are a very busy group and had a table selling what they make, and I loved that they wore orange check aprons!


It was a great day of looking at the quilts, and catching up with many people, and seeing what the shops have to sell. I wandered around the show all of Friday before heading home, and realised on the way home that there was a lot that I had not looked at. I was so tempted to go back again today, but decided that some "time out" at home was probably a good idea.

I have been following the updates all weekend on the Guild's facebook page, which has included photos and videos of what's happening there. Pat and hubby Alan went down today, and I was surprised when I found this video of Alan at the show. I have to say that he is rarely lost for words as he seemed to be in this interview!!!  (This is only a screen shot, not a link to the video.)


Tomorrow it is back to work on Max, and a few other catch up jobs after a few days away. And there will be more family time tomorrow evening to look forward to. As mentioned before I need to do a quilt show update of recent quilting, and there is some preparation to do for Christmas in July which is only 2 weeks away.

Be back soon,

Blessings, From Jude


3 comments:

Susan Smith said...

Certainly a feast for the eyes. Good to see some of your hard work paid off for a few of the winners. I'm sure you are a very proud "winner" too. Take care.

Raylene Edwards said...

Fabulous Quilts-such a wide range of designs from Modern to Traditional, made by extremely talented people. A bouquet 💐 for the designers of these quilts who must be thrilled to see their patterns made & hanging in an exhibition. Congratulations Judy, 2 more ribbons on the curtain 🥇🥇

Joy McD said...

Wow, such amazing quilts!! Thanks for sharing... and congrats to all the winners!! Xx