Thursday 21 March 2019

The Hard decisions of Life!

The weather this week has given us lovely sunny days, temperatures in the low 30's and a gentle breeze. The sort of days that makes you feel good, and think that all is right with the world. And there are lots of things that are "right" in this world, but sometimes outside appearances are not a good indicator of things that are occurring below the surface.

There are lots of things occurring this week that are weighing on my mind. I guess the massacre in New Zealand has to be "up there" as not right in a worldly sense. And for my country, the drought in parts of Australia is affecting people I know, and there seems to be no end in sight. 
Closer to home, there are people I know dealing with treatment for recently diagnosed cancers, or facing a life ahead alone, after the death of their partner. 

And personally, my family has been coming to the hard decision that my Dad needs nursing home care. My parents have been married for 65 1/2 years and together for 70 years, so this is a big change. My mum has managed for longer than she should have, before admitting that she could not do it anymore. We all sort of knew that it was difficult, but unless you are there 24 hours a day, you could not know just how difficult the nights were.

There are 5 of us children, and 2 of us who live "away" from the town now. So the 3 locals have had to take the reins, and my sister has had the privilege (?) of filling out copious forms and dealing with the Aged Care Assessment system. (And what a runaround that is!) Things came to a crisis point a couple of weeks ago, and Dad was admitted to a local nursing home for Respite care for 2 weeks. Mum needed a break and was advised not to visit Dad for the 2 weeks. 

He was very unsettled, and not happy about the move, and it was heart breaking that he asked everyone who visited to take him home. 

And where did Mum go? She came to Bordertown!   I have found that usually in the tough times, that there is always a positive. And this one was that I got to spend a whole week with my mother, and share some special mother/daughter time. (It has been almost 50 years since I left the family home, which means it's that long since we have had one on one time together. So that means that I have had 2 special times recently, this one with my mum and the wedding trip with my sister). There was lots of talking, and reminiscing, some tears, and some laughter. While there are a few differences, I found we have lots of things we have in common.

 As it was the weekend I was going to Melbourne for Miss Billie's 1st birthday, mum came too. And she said it was the first time she had been to Melbourne!! Mum and Dad have travelled all over Australia, but not to Victoria, as they were leaving that till after they had done the further away trips.)

Here we are doing a selfie, on our way.


And of course, nearly all  my  family was in Melbourne for the party, and Mum got to see them all at the same time.



The family photo that was taken in Melbourne.


My sister sent me updates on Dad while we were away, so that Mum knew what was happening, and one of them had this photo.


I took Mum home last weekend, after we had been to the 18th birthday party, and the next day she visited Dad, and he was very happy to see her.


Today Dad has moved to a permanent room and will be looked after well.  I am sure he will have lots of visitors as there are 5 children, 15 grandchildren, and 14 great grandchildren to pop in and out. And I am sure Mum will adjust to living on her own, and visiting Dad some days.

I am thankful that we are able to get care for Dad, and that they have had a good life together. And I do know that there are lots of people for which the outcome is not so good.

It is easy to feel down with all this and the other things that are happening in the world, but as my Mum said this week, just take a day at a time. I know that God is in control and can bring good out of any situation, and just need to remember to trust in that. My mum is a great example of faith in action.

Time to finish this newsfromjude blog post and get ready for a meeting. I have another trip up the highway this weekend, and then not so many for awhile. I have managed to finish all the quilts that have been here since last year, and now need to get busy with some big custom show quilts.

Back soon,
Blessings, From Jude



4 comments:

Jean McGee said...

I agree with you that some decisions are hard to make but necessary for the wel being of a loved one. Wonderful that you and your Mum had time with the family and your Dad will settle soon. Your Mum will need lots of support at the moment to cope with the change in her life but I am sure you will all give her that. Look at the positives in our own lives so we can enjoy each day,
Lots of loving thoughts, Jean ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

Raylene Edwards said...

It is heart-breaking to see a parent and your Mum a husband having to move into permanent care. I’m sure the wonderful bond your whole family share will help at this sad time. Blessings to you all. ❣️

Joy from Days Filled With Joy said...

Such a lovely pic of your mum and dad.... it is a hard decision to make though..glad your dad has lots of family around though xx

Sue SA said...

So glad that you and the family were close by and all able to help your parents during this difficult transition in their lives. The paper work isn't easy either, but very impressed your Dad got a spot somewhere nice so quickly, believe me that is a real bonus!