In my last post I mentioned the sorting of lots of scraps, so will continue the story tonight.
I have had the Go cutter for quite awhile and used it on a few occasions. I like the 2 1/2" strip cutter for a quick way to make strips, which are always useful, but have not used it for 2 1/2" squares until now. I marked lines at right angles across the board............
.............and lay the short strips of already cut 2 1/2" short strips across the die..........
...................and up to 5 layers thick........turned the handle, and rolled it through the cutter.........
...............and, voila, lots of lovely 2 1/2" squares!!!!
We only did this with the shorter lengths, as for a quicker project I like to strip piece, but these will be good for a scrappy quilt, and at least they are no longer sitting in the corner, not used.
Below are all the empty containers, that previously held the leftover scraps! Boy, did we feel good when we got this far!
I was a undecided about whether to look in these bags this weekend, as I did want to get to the quilt designing. But late on Saturday evening, I did open one bag!...... and Sunday morning we kept going again. But we did quit with one bag not touched. This will keep for "one day".
2 overflowing bins full later. We were getting quite ruthless by now, and anything less than 2 1/2" was out. Some was poly cotton. For 2 people who always kept scraps, "for one day", it was hard to look at the bin, and see a piece that might make a 2" square. I think Val did bring some back. We don't like waste, but I don't think I shall run out of fabric anytime soon. (Maybe the kindy would like these scraps!??) I know there are all sorts of creative, arty things that could be done with all this, but at the moment I don't have the time.
We kept cutting until we got this far. And then I decided that these would be sorted, but not cut.
The top drawer contains smaller pieces that will be cut into squares. The second drawer contains width of fabric strips of varying widths, that can be put through the strip cutter. These have all been pressed ready for use, and are no longer screwed up in a bag. Starting to feel good again.
In my sort out, I found fat quarters all over the place, and they are all now in a drawer, where I can see them easily.
In bags, all over the place, were also partly pieced blocks, that were left over from quilts, or were made as a test block to check measurements for the quilt packs. These are all now with their "friends" in a bag together. It would be a good jigsaw puzzle for someone. If you are interested, contact me PLEASE. Once again, I hate waste, and just cannot throw them away.
This is my collection of precuts, (and I did have some of them from years ago, when I must have had lots more time), and the result of a few days work from 2 of us. The 2 little boxes on the right were cut years ago, and are 2" and 1 1/2" squares. Seeing it all laid out like this, it doesn't look that much, but there are a lot of squares in those piles. (But I am not going to count them!!)
Val left at lunch time today, and we thought we were finished. As I was cleaning up, I found this bag.
The leftover brights from 3 projects that I have done. One was my Mariners Compass, another my New York Beauty quilt, both of these with Lessa Siegele, and the other a Celtic Knot workshop with Gina Burgess. A lot can be squashed into a plastic bag, and I tipped it all out........
...... a few useable bits to cut squares out of.............
some precut curved units, (and I think I have loudly stated that I will not be doing anymore curved piecing in my future???).................
and lots of 4 patch units, maybe enough to start something small????
But can you tell me just why I had hung onto all these tiny, odd shaped pieces, for all these years???? They are now in the bin, with the other scraps.
All neat, and back in the bag now, and not put with the others as these are such a bright contrast to all the other scraps. Once again, I would be happy to hear from anyone interested in making use of these.
Now that I have cleared a lot of stuff from my room, and my mind, I am now ready to move onto the next project. It's time to work on designing and cutting the next lot of Pick a Case Mystery quilts, that need to be ready for mid February.There are groups of fabrics on the desk..........in the cases.......
..........and in each of these bags, under the table. Some I have plans for, and others still need to talk to me!!
Quilting starts again tomorrow morning, and I plan on edge to edge quilts in the mornings, and designing and cutting in the afternoons.
At least the weather has cooled a bit after yesterday's maximum of 43deg. Early mornings in the garden, keeping the plants watered is usually the best time of the day, and then I am inside to work.
Blessings, From Jude