Saturday, 30 December 2017

The day after Christmas.....

This post should have happened a couple of days ago, but I have been working on a large quilt, and had hoped it would be finished by now. But not yet, so may as well have a "short" break and report on our "day after Christmas."

A tradition in my extended family is to gather on Boxing day, and this year it was hosted by my sister and her family. 

My 12 year old niece is very clever, and made this chocolate reindeer and sleigh, filled with all these "low cal" goodies! 

We don't buy presents for everyone, but do have a list, and buy for one person, so there is still excitement and anticipation waiting to see what is in the parcels.

 There were 40 of us attending, so a good crowd, even though 2 couples were overseas on honeymoons, and another 2 couples absent due to distance. Here we are all waiting for the gifts to be handed out. Note one table is just outside the door.

I was very fortunate to receive this lovely gift, made by my clever SIL. It is now hanging in my garden, and I will take a photo of it soon, and also show something else that she has made.

And the aftermath of lunch and presents.

Of course there is cleanup to happen, and here is DD1, DD2, and my sister. 

They have recently had a new pool installed at their place, and it was put to good use that day, as the temperature reached 35deg. It is not finished yet, though, as the fence is only temporary.

 Another group outside in the pergola, and if you look close, behind the people, there is a pizza oven, built by my sister's husband. He has used stone that is from our family farm. He is very handy, and I should have taken a closeup photo. Lunch included make your own pizzas.

 I am sorry, but can't tell you what the name of this game is called, but you have to throw the "stick??" and hit the numbered pegs. Another of his homemade creations, and it was a popular activity in the shade of some trees, for those who did not swim.

 My sister lives about 2 hours from me, and I travelled up the highway that morning. I had a passenger with me, as GD1 had been with her father for Christmas and was meeting up with her mum at the gathering. I left for home about 5pm, and had travelled about halfway home, and looked at the clock, noted it was 6pm and thought to myself that I would be home by about 7pm. At that moment, the phone rang, in my car. Fortunately it comes through the bluetooth in the car, so I answered it. It was DD2, who lives about 1 1/2 hours north of my sister, and was almost home. Mum, she said, in your boot is the luggage, of GD1!!! Whoopsey, we forgot to unpack her bags!! So, I turned around, drove back to my sister's, and DD2 did the same. We met up again, and transferred her "stuff". I did stay and eat before I left, and had a caffeine "fix", before settling off again. I arrived home just before 10pm, and slept in next morning.

That's about all the newsfromjude for now, and i need to get back to this quilt. I want it finished this year!!

Blessings, From Jude


Raylene Edwards said...

Wonderful to see the majority of your family sharing a Christmas Celebration. Your SISTER & BIL has the event well organised . Lucky you receiving the amazing birdhouse. The Quilt Show always a treat to see 🏆

Chookyblue...... said...

What a great day......

Susan Smith said...

Wow, what a day & such a big family. Mine is minute compared with that. Happy New Year & take care.