Wednesday 13 December 2017

Another update......

As I have had a few queries from people hoping I am ok, it must mean I am overdue for a blog post about what's been happening. I am sitting in the recliner, with the laptop on my lap and thinking back about what the newsfromjude has been. A lot has happened since my last post, and I shall  mention a few.

The Gumtree quilters had their end of year Christmas dinner at the local hotel. It was a good night and the photo below shows President Pat handing out PHD certificates. Last year, we committed to finish certain projects that were still UFO's. We even had to name and sign our declarations, and they had to be finished in time to hang at our exhibition which was in October. Some ladies succeeded and achieved their PHD's, and I need to admit that some of us failed, and had to pay a fine!!  


We have had some wild and wooly weather, and lots of rain and wind, and my garden was showing the effects, as below.



I have finally managed to do a bit of garden maintenance, and did a lot of pruning early in the mornings, while the weather was cooler. There was a pergola full of leaves, which now looks much better after a good sweep.


 In spite of my neglect, I found some colour in places.




Last Friday, Pat and I headed up the highway for a day of Quilt Valuations, and a shared Christmas lunch to end the year. This was followed by a visit to Mum and dad on the way home. It was Mum's 86th birthday the day before, and sorry I didn't take any photos.

I spent the whole weekend inside, with the bookwork and my laptop, and can now say I am up to date, which feels really great. I know that every year I say I will not get behind with this task, but it happens again and again. It's a bit tricky to work out some payments a few months after the event. I was stumped with one amount that I had paid to the local council, and racked my brains trying to work out what it was! There was no receipt or invoice that explained it. I pay my rates to the council online, and this was only a small amount?? The saying, 2 heads are better than one, is very true, so I decided to "phone a friend", and explained my dilemma. She thought about it, and suggested I look back in my diary and see what I had been doing that week. Why didn't I think of that?? Bingo, I worked out that GD3 had been to visit that week, and I remembered that I purchased a bus ticket for her return from the council office!!

 I had a visit with the accountant yesterday, to do my tax for the 2016/2107 financial year, so that's another job to tick off the list! Oh, I did go outside to attend church on Sunday morning, for the second Sunday of Advent.

I have managed to get some quilting done, and here is one, made by Christina,  that I delivered to Adelaide last week. This is Michele Hill's design, William Morris Garden, and made with batik fabrics. My original instructions from Christina was that she wanted less quilting, so that it would be soft. So I was prepared to mainly ditch the applique and perhaps a frame for each block, with more in the border. After it was loaded, and I touched base with her, Christina, she told me that she had decided she really liked the quilt, and wanted lots of quilting! We are both happy with the outcome.





The weather has turned on the summer heat this week, with a top today of 40deg! A bit hard to handle after temperatures in the low 20's only a few days ago. When I turned the air con on this morning, I had to change the temp from the heating I had on the weekend.

Tomorrow I am off up the highway again, for a Christmas dinner with my children in Adelaide.  Christmas is coming, ready or not. And I am not!

That's all the newsfromjude for now.

Blessings, From Jude

7 comments:

Raylene Edwards said...

Christmas Dinners are in full swing here too. Lovely that you visited your amazing Mum for her 86th birthday. 🎂 I’m sure I know the friend who solved the payment puzzle. Wise Woman. That quilt deserved your magic touch. It’s beautiful.

Chookyblue...... said...

Mostly this sounds like a good time at Judes except the garden damage and the heat........ Today we are hiring forty after a nice mild few months........ Only 40-42 forecast for the next week so it is a shock to the system having been around 30 for so long...... Barely turned the air con on...... Very unusual.... But no summer sure is here now......enjoy Christmas with your family...... I'm not ready either.......

Chookyblue...... said...

Oh and I forgot.... Beautiful quilting.......

Sue SA said...

Great quilt, looking beautiful with your quilting! Hot here too, after some wacky weather - think they call that spring?! Finally air conditioner dropped its bundle with just hubby home (who loves heat) but he rang to complain it was 33C in the house and could I ring the plumber to come fix it! Oh yes, I could, because the darn thing has been underperforming for a long time. Bless the plumber for coming in the 42C, but now I can think about sewing this weekend because the house will actually be cool! Nearly organised for Christmas, hope you have a lovely Christmas with your children.

Susan Smith said...

Glad to see a post pop up, but then we all get busy with "life" & blogging has to give a little. The William Morris quilt is beautifully made & quilted. Well done to you both. Our car said it was 41 on the way to DD's and that was when we were parked in the shade for half an hour. Yes, way too hot after our mid 20 days. Take care.

Jean McGee said...

the hot weather certainly plays havoc with gardens but as long as we get rain occasionally the plants seem to survive. Some beautiful quilting again Judy, you are amazing making our quilts come alive with your skill and love. Once Christmas is over there seems to be more time in the sewing room to do what we love doing most of all
Have a lovely family Christmas and happiness and good health in the new year to come.
💕💕

Joy from Days Filled With Joy said...

Happy Birthday to your mum! Sounds like you got lots of paperwork done and now there should be some time to play... your garden still looks lovely despite some damage.. enjoy all your Christmas celebrations xx