Tuesday, 18 August 2026

Still catching up on blog posts.................February 2026

Siblings....................

I had known Barry for about 35 years, but I was curious to see what he looked like in his younger days. I asked if he had photos and he said no. So at Christmas time I asked his siblings if they had any photos from those day, and bingo! 2 of them said yes.......and forwarded me some of those pics.

I could show you lots of others, but will post this one and the 4 siblings, all ready for school one morning. And in order, left to right, oldest to youngest. 

And this is the photo I took at their Christmas gathering.......and again in order, oldest to youngest, taken 58 years later...... and older and wiser!!! Would you have recognised them now??

******************************

A day trip....

 Sometime in February, I had an appointment at Mount Barker with the eye specialist. I have been diagnosed with Glaucoma in left eye, so keep a check on it each year, and daily eye drops. So far, no further deterioration, thankfully. On the way home we called into the waffle shop at Coonalpyn, and enjoyed the weather, while watching the traffic go by. (We enjoyed sharing the waffle too!)

                                               

We got talking to the owner of the shop who gave us the interesting history on how she came to be making waffles in Coonalpyn. This shop is on the highway, and the main road between Melbourne and Adelaide. Lots of traffic and there are usually lots of people stopping. We were amazed at the number of vehicles going by, lots of trucks, cars and caravans.

                                   

                                     

************************

A custom quilt

Just so you can see that I have spent time with Max!!

                            

                            

                                                      

***********************

A few days away..................

We took the opportunity for a 4 day trip.........heading to Lake Cullulleraine..........


The is Harding Springs, a reserve on the Ngarkat Highway which was burnt only a week or so before we headed up the road............


We crossed the river at Loxton.............


.........and soon came to the quarantine station, but as we were going into Victoria, we did not need to stop...............and we were soon in Victoria..........


                         ..........and Lake Cullulleraine.............the Tranquil Waters Caravan park..........


We had arranged to meet Jo and Tony, who live at Mildura, and they had already arrived before us...........


.......it really was a tranquil spot............


.........and we had soon set up and were ready to relax...........my notes say "we sat yarning until about 7pm.... lovely weather, pretty spot.....ahhh, the serenity!!"


We had arranged to have lunch, at the Werrimul Hotel.....(have you worked out we love going there??)
It so happens that we found out the Faye and Kym were camped not far from Mildura and so they decided to join us for lunch too. 



After lunch we all went back to the caravan park........and enjoyed dessert!!.....


.............and a bit more yarning as well...........


Next day was a lazy day, and the weather was warming up.................I think there was a lot of reading, maybe a snooze, and more yarning with friends. The bird life was abundant and vocal......and the clouds came over dark as though a storm was brewing, but moved on.


Next morning it was time to pack up and head home..............via the Quarantine station and this time we had to stop and was thoroughly searched.......


We arrived home by 3pm after a lovely peaceful, restful weekend with good friends.

**************************
Vale - Kath

In February, 2026, we farewelled one of the members of our quilt group, the Gum Tree Quilters. She was 95 years old and still stitching quilts together. Up until recently, she regularly entered at least 12 quilts in our exhibitions every 2 years. She has been one of my more prolific customers. Well done Kath, you were a special lady and will be missed.





I went back into the archives to find photos of Kath, and it was good to remember lots of fun times with our group, but also sad to see many faces of members who had already passed.

********************
Another project???

I have had a lot of readers tell me that I need to have a hand stitching project to take in the caravan with me. Now if you have been reading my blog for any length of time, you will know that hand stitching is not my forte. (Give me a machine and I am comfortable, but the needle and thread and I have not bonded at all.)
But it did get me thinking and perhaps I should give it a go??
When I saw this advertised online, I was a bit interested.....a fabric map of Australia that I could hand stitch all our trip on???? Sounds like a good plan???


It even came in it's own carry bag.......so I was tempted and ordered it..........


I collected a few coloured threads and a needle and put them all in the bag for our next trip...........


...........and this is as far as I've got!!! I've marked one trip, out to Cameron's Corner, and it sits in the bag, still in the van..............I didn't find it easy, or enjoyable!!!! Threading the needle was difficult......maybe I shall have another try one day?? Or perhaps I'll draw in the lines instead!!

That about covers February for you....be back soon with March update. I feel like I am making progress.

Blessings, From Jude






2 comments:

Janice said...

Mick and I had morning tea at Lake Cullulleraine on our last trip to SA. It is a peaceful spot. I see that Barry is still the tallest of his family and you are still working your magic with Max. Such a beautiful quilt.

Jo said...

Wow, I would not have picked that for Barry. This year has flown by. It was so good catching up with you both at Cullulleraine and also at Werrimull with Faye and Kym. We had a nice lunch followed with ice creams at the lake. Hopefully one day you will get to enjoy a little bit of hand stitching on your map.