Monday 30 November 2020

Citrus strings is a top................

 Back in mid October I reported about my sewing efforts with the drawer of citrus coloured strings. I had used these colours in one of the mystery quilts and kept the left over pieces to use for a string quilt.

This was the drawer after I had made 16 blocks, so not much of a dent had been made.



This is the progress I had made by the end of that week, and still needed to put another 4 blocks to make up 6 rows, and then borders.


While I was in Murray Bridge at the end of October, Val was housesitting for me, and made another 4 blocks, and added them and the first border. I had decided that as there were lots more strings left that I would do a string border to try and use them up.


After trimming the string blocks there are always lots of little pieces left, especially triangles, and I thought that to use them up I would make some crumb blocks!!?? 



Well I have decided that it really didn't use up hardly any of those pieces, and it is a VERY time consuming thing to do. I only needed 4 x 5" blocks and it took ages. While they look rather effective, and sits in the corner blocks quite nicely, I don't think I will be heading down that rabbit hole anytime soon. Now strings I can do, they are fast, and as my stitching time is limited these days, and there is really NO shortage of fabric in this residence the crumbs are on hold, and perhaps they might find a new home?

I did manage to make a slight dent in the drawer of strings, and perhaps a few more blocks might eventuate, or shall I add these to the multi coloured drawer of strings??


I still wanted to add a border to this and finally this is done too. The only holdup now is with the quilter! (The queue of my quilts to be done is growing fast, but at least I am getting more sewing days this year than for a long time, and I say it's all part of the therapy.)


Blessings, From Jude


7 comments:

Gail said...

Very pretty! Guess I'm going to have to try some of those blocks one of these days!

kiwikid said...

Love your citrus quiltM well done on the finish. I am sure the quilter will get stuck in one of these days when time allows.

Janice said...

Gosh, it turned out well. Such great colours for a summer quilt. At least it made a bit of a dent in your strings stash.

Raylene Edwards said...

Since there hasn’t been retreats or the Angels haven’t been making charity quilts (Corona restrictions) the strings drawers aren’t increasing in volume. Great to see you using ME TIME & making such a pretty Citrus String Quilt 🍋🍊

Jean McGee said...

String piecing is fun and certainly helps to use up some of the stash. Looks very pretty. 😀😀

dq said...

Love love love so much. I swear I have the same scraps. I like your quilt better!

Chookyblue...... said...

wow this just looks so fresh and I really like it.......you did use up lots of strings but there is still some there......well done...