Sunday 16 August 2020

This weekend

 

I mentioned in the last post that I was on a mission to finish a few of those gunna do jobs that are on my list. I only had to do the corner blocks for Miss Billie's quilt, and knew that I wanted to make bees for this, so yesterday I set to work. 

It wasn't long before I had 4 little bees all stitched, and sorry but I did use a pen for the eyes, mouths and feelers. 


So here we have an "almost finish", as I still have 4 mouths and 2 nostrils to stitch on the centre blocks. And don't faint with shock, but I am actually hand sewing those!! And this is a great effort from this NON HAND SEWING quilter. Give me a machine any day. And after those few stitches, this quilt will be ready to wait in the queue for the quilter!? Not too sure about a deadline for this to be finished, as the birthday won't be until March. It would be lovely to be able to personally hand this over, but we have no idea when I might be able to see my Melbourne family??


Today there was another Zoom meeting, organised by Chookyblue for bloggers. Countries represented included Australia, New Zealand, Canada and the US. This is always a great catch up with much conversation about so many subjects. Of course the Covid situation is a hot topic, and the effects are worldwide. Other subjects included the price of fabric, wages, families, travel, farming, as many stitched along as well. This is the best option to "travel" for most of us at the moment and is good to hear about other countries. Thanks Chooky for organising this catchup again.


I joined in early before going to church and then again after I arrived home again. My time was spent sitting and cutting quite a few containers of scraps. They have been building up and needed to be dealt with. I am happy to show the results below. I cut the smaller pieces straight into squares and from here those shorter lengths will now go back through the Go cutter and cut into more squares, and be added to the drawers.

I think that after another couple of cutting sessions the scraps might be tamed, well that is until I start cutting more kits again!! 


10 comments:

Maria said...

I could see the piggy Quilt Hanging behind you while we were on Zoom...always enjoy those catch ups..
Well done taming all your scraps..

kiwikid said...

It was great to see you again yesterday, love the bee blocks and well done on the finish. You have done a great job with all the cutting up the scraps.

dq said...

Those little bees in the corners make a perfect border! I LOVE this quilt so much!!!

Pink Rose said...

Hi Jude oh you do the most beautiful work,well done my friend ,the bees are so cute,hope your day is a good one Jude xx

Karen's Korner said...

It was lovely catching up yesterday and you certainly achieved a lot unlike me who just sat and chatted all day!!!!

Jean McGee said...

Such a good feeling finishing quilts that have been waiting in the wings. They are lovely and the children will enjoy receiving them.
Take care and keep warm 😀😀

Raylene Edwards said...

Your farm animal quilt bring thoughts of border restrictions which you & fellow country people are experiencing. Quilt is beautiful & I hope you have the joy of delivering it personally. You must have sensed the ‘ mishap’ to the fairy, you’ve made a mighty job putting those scraps in their place!!

Chookyblue...... said...

the bees look great on the corner of the farm quilt........
we best have some more zoom days then to tame your stash........
I do enjoy the conversations that we have on zoom.....loearning about other areas and how tings happen, where people are and all the other random subjects we have........

Janice said...

Hi Jude. I’ve finally had a chance to sit and read some blogs. I’ve enjoyed seeing all the projects you have been working on and seeing your beautiful quilting. It was great to catch up again, if only briefly, in the Zoom get together. I’m not in a local patchwork group, so I really enjoy being a part of it - catching up with girls I know and getting to meet more quilters and bloggers. It was especially nice to actually visit Chooky in person, as we haven’t been up to her place for a while. Hopefully we will all get together again before too long.

Susan said...

I love the Pig Quilt - tempted to make it and why not use a pen for the fiddly bits?? - we wouldn't know!!
I was sorry to miss most of the Zoom meeting - but I do think these are a great idea.

Getting your scraps organised is a great way to use the time in a Zoom meeting too - especially for a NON HAND SEWER!!!