Saturday 19 October 2019

The Quilt Show - Part 1


What a week it has been! My last post moaned about my dead phone, which has taken up a few hours trying to sort out things with the phone company. I did manage to get a couple of edge to edge quilts done with Max, and a few quilt kits were cut and packed ready to sell at the show. Thankfully I have had my fairy here since Sunday, and even another fairy who called in to help.

As I said lots of quilts had been dropped off at my place, so these were all checked to make sure they were labelled and had sleeves. Then they were packed into our wheelie travel cases ready to be taken to the venue. It looks like we are going on a trip, doesn't it? (As an aside I will mention that we could have been preparing for a trip as the Aussie Quilters Abroad group that we travelled to Paducah with last year, are leaving again on Sunday morning for Houston. Consideration was given to joining this tour, but I decided that as it clashed with our exhibition I was not going with them. Probably just as well as Jett Daniel arrived 3 weeks ago!)


And this was our "easy to prepare" evening meal one night this week after a big day, or two, or three, or more!


Thursday morning we were at the Basketball Stadium by 7.30, ready for a big day.

The quilts all needed to by signed in by the owners, and this was my job. Here you can see my assistant, who filled in for me when I was not at the desk.


The labels with the name of their quilts and the story were pinned to the right side of the quilts and they were all laid out in category groups before hanging.


Meanwhile, the frames which we hire from the Quilters Guild of SA, were being erected by our volunteers.



                                  Time for a break, and a quick sit down.


Then the hanging commenced. ............................ 


.................................until it looked like this. We are using the local Basketball Stadium for the first time this year, and there is so much more space, and the lighting is fantastic. This is only one side of the stadium.


Once the quilts were all hung, they were judged by members of the SAQG Judging Panel, who arrived just after lunch.

There was a full house at Number 8 on Thursday evening as the city visitors stayed, and we all enjoyed an evening with members of the Gum Tree Quilters Committee.

Day one of the exhibition was great, and included the opening by Rachelle Denneny. I will be back with another post and a full report of the whole weekend, in due course. It's time for a shower and to get ready for Day 2 of the show. Hope to see you there.

Blessings, From Jude



4 comments:

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Having worked on many quilt shows myself I can fully understand the amount of work in every aspect of putting on such an exhibition. I'd say you were lucky to have squeezed in the crackers and cheese! It looks like a wonderful venue for your show!

Jean McGee said...

all the best for the show Judy and all the helpers, a lot of work behind the scenes but it's looking good especially in the new venue.
I'm thinking of you all and wish I could be there. Jean ๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€

Sue SA said...

A fantastic show Judy and the venue was lovely, so spacious and well lit. Congratulations to all on your hard work.

Raylene Edwards said...

As spectators at a quilt show, we realise it does take a dedicated team to bring this all together...but to be in the action is amazing. The incredible amount of hours planning the layout for 150 quilts, sizes, categories, catering, decorations, printed labels, awards, a spectacular venue and so important 3 great judges AND a wonderful lady Rachelle Denneny to open the show. A special mention of a fantastic team of dedicated quilters, their families & friends who worked tirelessly to make this happen. Congratulations ๐Ÿฅ‡