Sunday, 21 August 2016

Once again.......

......I seem to be playing catch up. I had intended to post more newsfromjude each day this week, but life just got in the way again. And an email I received this morning, asked where the blog update was!!
It is a week since the last retreat, so it must be time for an overdue report.
Friday afternoon saw the arrival of girls from Adelaide and "over the border". We had the usual "allocation" of the cases, so that they could get sewing that evening. 

16 patch blocks being made by Maxine.

It is always a bit tricky trying to get a good mix of quilts in the cases. Some like to come and have an easy weekend, and are happy to have a simple quilt to sew. And others seem to like more of a challenge, and are happy for something more complicated.

Sherrel picked that more complicated quilt, and made pretty good progress for the weekend. There were lots of 2" half square triangles, flying geese, and some square in a square blocks, as well as lots of borders in between.

Pat's quilt was made up of lots of 9 patch blocks, and a few square in a square blocks, in different colour combinations.

And Val was happy for a simple quilt, and here is her progress, in a nice pile on the floor.

The flying geese units, all string pieced, and the 4 border rows all string pieced as well. Sherrel had a method happening.

 And here is my strip piecing in progress. All white fabrics, and being made into a baby quilt.

On Saturday we were joined by a special lady for the day. This lady has been battling a few health issues for the last 2 years, and her sewing has been non existent. Recent treatment has been more successful which is fantastic. After a long break, it was great to see Mignon back at the sewing machine, and sharing in the chatter and laughter. She finished all the 9 patch blocks, which were to be framed, and sewn into rows with alternate rose fabric squares. One row was finished in the time before she had to leave. It was a day of therapy for Mignon.

We had to take a group photo before Mignon left, even though most girls had only a little progress to show.

Then it was back to work and this was the ironing station.These 2 ladies had much to talk about as they have realised that they were both in the same class during their primary school years! Makes you realise what a small world it really is. Maxine brought class photos that they both pored over, trying to remember other names in the class.

Sherrel was up to adding her flying geese borders.

Pat showing one of her 9 patch blocks.

 And Val had the centre of her quilt put together by 9.30 on Saturday evening.

 And this is Dot's progress.

And this is 10pm Saturday evening, just before the machines were switched off and a few sat in the lounge to watch the Olympics on TV.

And here we are at 9am on Sunday morning, and not much action is happening is there?? I never realised before that the clock in the photo really tells the story.

This photo tells a bit more of the story, as you can see why the sewing machines were quiet. There was a lot of laughter, and much cackling coming from this room, so I was wondering if there would be eggs for brekkie??? (And I did not take this photo!!)

Looks like there was action at the station by 9.40am.

The first finish for the weekend, by a very happy Val.

This was the next group photo, taken Sunday afternoon before Sherrel had to leave.

This is Sherrel's quilt, called Cherry and Chocolate, after the range of fabrics, which still has a few borders to go yet.

 Dot had the centre put together and just had to sew the border of her quilt, called Carnival Time.

Maxine was battling a back issue for the weekend, and this was how far she progressed with Sunrise.

This is Pat's centre, with a few of borders left to add. This is called A Touch of Teal. The centre of this quilt was inspired by a design from Judy Butcher, that was posted on her blog, Virtual Quilter awhile back. I have changed things around, as you do, but thankyou Judy for permission to use your idea. I will post a photo when Pat finally finishes her borders.

When Val had finished her quilt, we thought it would be a good idea for it to be quilted. It is not often that there is no quilt on Max, so it was meant to be. All eyes were watching Max do his thing with an edge to edge quilting job.

And here is Val, (well some of her!) with her quilt, called Sofia, which was named for the range of fabrics in the quilt.

I did manage to sew the binding on the wedding quilt some time over the weekend, as well as sewing that baby quilt. The hand sewing is still a work in progress though.

I was blessed to be able to do some grandma duty on Sunday, and look after Miss Bridie, for a few hours. She is a busy little girl now that she is walking, but is full of smiles. I thought she might like to see the flowers, but they did not interest her very much, but the "cat" in the photo below was much more interesting.

Lots of attention at lunch time.

Pat was teaching her to make a new noise!

 The plastics drawer is a good toy box!

This little girl was getting rather tired by now, but loved reading books and looking at pictures of dogs and cats, and sheep etc.

And this is the photo that her mum sent, about 2 minutes after they had driven off in the car!

Once again, another lovely weekend

 I have been on a mission to get some more quilts done this week, and a tidy up in the studio was called for too. After a Pick a case Mystery retreat, there are always fabric scraps, and little piles of fabric sitting around. I can work in "chaos" for awhile, but when you start to spend time looking for something that you know is "somewhere", and it was staring you in the face all the time, then it's time for a sort out.
Thursday was our group's patchwork day, and also a committee meeting as well. And Saturday I spent in the kitchen, giving that new oven a work out. I don't like waste, and after a retreat, there is usually leftover "stuff" in the fridge. All of that has now been cooked up into something. So the week has disappeared fast.
And last night I had a visit from DD3, who was on her way through to Adelaide. We did stay up late last night, chatting and watching TV, and went out for coffee today. Gypsy got some more cuddling from her owner.

Mid afternoon she departed, with her car laden with a lot of my cookup, for the family she was going to visit.
This afternoon, I confess to a "nanna nap" in front of the fire. And by the time I finish this report, it will be bedtime. 

There was a brief tease of spring during the week, but winter has returned again the last few days. But the daffodils are flowering so spring must be on it's way. I have not spent any time in the garden over winter, so a job of weeding awaits me.

Blessings, From Jude


Sue SA said...

Lots of lovely quilty progress by the ladies, very impressed someone even went home with a quilted quilt!

Jean McGee said...

Love the scrap lattice quilt, would like the pattern if you still have it. Some beautiful quilts again Judy and lots of fun at the retreats. Little Bridie is growing fast and great to have some time with you. Looking forward to September retreat. Xx

Dot said...

Thanks Jude, for a wonderful weekend away from it all. Loved the mystery concept...and the fact that I didn't have to stand and cut:)

Anonymous said...

Like that touch of teal!