Thursday 29 June 2023

 As it is the last day of June tomorrow, perhaps I better do a catchup on newsfromjude so that it will make it into the January to June blog book.

Have to cast my mind back in time to work out what has been happening. I do confess to watching the world go by for some of the time. Then I had to go back through photos and also the diary to work out the rest. I do think my "get up and go" has mostly returned. After going back through the photos looking for some for my tribute to Margie it has sent me way back and brought out a lot of 'other' memories. Which has taken me to a place I don't often go. It seems as though you can only put off grief temporarily as it will come back at you many years later. 

Enough of the maudlin stuff, now onto the month of June. Since the trip to the city to be the shop at the SA Quilters Guild meeting there have been a few happenings. ..........

There was a QFO day and more progress on using up the scraps in this house. I think it will take a few quilters lifetimes to use up the remnants without cutting into the fabric on the shelves.

This quilt had a border added and it now in the queue, patiently waiting....


Sue has been busy making string blocks and has 2 more to sew to  reach a total of 24. 


*************
Thankyou to those who have ordered in the June Clearance sale. There have been a few parcels sent to the Post office and more taken by locals.

*********************
There was an evening celebration with this 'young' lady who had a special 0 birthday.


*************
It was special to have friends to stay and other friends called in to visit and chat. There had planned to be some sewing happening, but I believe we had more socializing than stitching!! Which was great too, as it's not always about the work.


***********************

I did spend some time in the garden trying to attack the fast growing weeds, then decided to prune the roses, and found this lovely lonely bloom on the bush. The smell from this rose, (and don't ask me what it's name is,) is divine!!


**********************
DIL chose some fabrics for a small quilt for Olivia, which was very simple to make, and the quilter even managed to get it to the top of the queue!! (As I am to see them soon, it was all the motivation I needed).


****************
This district has a series of drains and creeks that all run into Poocher Swamp, just outside of town. It takes some serious rainfall from the north and the east, to make the creeks run. They all run into the swamp and some years it fills up. I have seen the swamp empty many years and full occasionally. After recent good rainfall here is the creek running into the hole that you can see. I will come back with more info on the whole process after if fills when I have more time. It was lovely to hear the water gurgling as it ran into the hole.


This is the map of the creek system and other waterholes in the district. I need to go back now and see how much more water has come down.


*********************
I am in the process of sorting all the strings and cutting more strips from remnants. This was 2 weeks ago, and I have to say that there has been very little progress since. 


******************
After investigating the cost of repairs vs a new vacuum, I decided to buy new as there were EOFY June sale prices. I do think it should have lasted longer than 2 1/2 years, but 'they' tell me that anything battery operated has a short life???


*******************
There was a visit by family on their way to Melbourne and then this photo of 4 cousins in a tree.


************************
The month also included 2 funerals, a trip to MB to see mum, another evening meal with friends where we talked until 1am!! I have been to the pictures with a friend and of course a bit of housework and little time in the garden. I did get accused this week of turning into a social butterfly!!?? We will see, but I do admit to trying to alter the balance of my life going forward. Watch this space.

That's about all for now, as I am about to walk out the door. Will be back soon with more family news.

Blessings, From Jude


9 comments:

Denice Barker said...

Such a busy June!! And then I looked at my calendar and thought, "yeah, I can relate!" I sure hope the time slows down a bit or it will be Christmas tomorrow!

Susan Smith said...

Busy indeed! This year seems to be flying by in a strange way & I too had to catch up on blog posting. Weary today after being woken around 1.30am by an earthquake. I could give you 40 years worth of scraps, but I am trying to use just them and my stash these days. Take care & hugs from a very windy/wet Gippsland.

dq said...

There are a lot of scraps in those bind -wow! That should keep a person busy for a long while.

That little wirlpool of water was an interesting photo to examine. I also enjoyed your history lesson on the water levels and map.

Two funerals - not good. I knew of Margi but not two. Be sure to take care of yourself. Heading off to quilty gatherings is healthy I'm sure. I am glad you have been a social butterfly.

kiwikid said...

Life seems busy for lots of us Jude. That is a good thing, enjoy your social butterfly happenings. Lots of scraps used in the quilts and there are so many strips for you to use up! Trying to use up scraps here too, but need to use the stash one day!

Raylene Edwards said...

So glad you have your Social Butterfly wings, it’s so important to have family & friends, not only to enjoy their company, but to listen to our troubles when we need. You have been busy too & a gorgeous rose as a reward for your labours 🌹

Maria said...

Even though you’ve made many lovely scrappy quilts there’s never an end to them….
You’ve had a busy month visiting etc ..
A great photo of the four cousins….

Susan said...

A good round up for EOFY.
Perhaps I need to do a colour based strippy quilt next time...it looked really good.
Take Care & enjoy the "social butterfly" status!

Janice said...

Your June has certainly been busy and a bit of an emotional roller coaster. I hope you can continue to be a social butterfly 🦋. How special to find one last rose for the season. It’s a beauty. You continue to be very productive with the scraps and strings, even though there are still lots more. It means many more social stitching days ahead. I love the photo of the cousins in the tree.

Chookyblue...... said...

ditto to Deana's comment but I am sure she would have all those scraps sewn up into quilt tops in a day or two at the most.......
big hugs.....