Sunday 22 March 2020

Another week has gone by...........


Here we are again, and it's Sunday evening, so it must be time for an update of newsfromjude for the last week. I must be getting slower in "old" age, as the weeks seems to be going by faster than ever. Perhaps that is because I have plenty to keep me occupied. I can't imagine ever sitting around feeling bored.

Since the last retreat, which was 2 weeks ago now, I have added the borders to this quilt. I am really pleased with it, and is a great use of stash scraps. There are still lots of 2 1/2" strips in the drawers, so will have to try out some more colour combinations, and I don't think there will be a shortage of scraps to cut into the half square triangle units either.


Another bundle of fabrics have arrived to reside at my house, and they are sitting in the corner, waiting for their turn in the scanner, and then to appear in a mystery kit sometime.


And, Ta Daa, I have finally finished this quilt, that has been in progress since last July. (Probably should not claim to be finished as there needs to be a label made for it yet.) I have to think about the right words for the label, as it is going to a good friend, who was there for our family over many years, through thick and thin. And for those who are wondering, I ended up custom quilting it, so that I did not have to decide whether to use coloured thread on the black, or black thread on the colours!!





Those dahlias that I planted very late, after they had tried growing in the cardboard box, have rewarded me with some lovely blooms. Amazing what comes along to brighten the day, in spite of the neglect they received.


While I was talking on a video call with DD3 and Miss Billie, I walked outside to chat where it was quieter. During the conversation I was aiming the phone at the flowers and showing Billie the bees on the petals. This week we had another video call and she wanted to see the flowers and the bees. I put her off, by saying it was cold and the bees were not there. Later in the day when I went outside, the sun was shining, and the bees were buzzing. I decided to get the phone and do a video to send to her. Not having done this before, I thought I was in action and was chatting away about the colour of the different flowers and the bees. Switched it off and went inside to replay, and all I had was the floor as I walked back inside through the laundry!!?? Take 2, and I succeeded. I sent the video to DD3 and she played it to Billie, who was very excited and had to replay a few times. Possibly will need to do something like this more often now that I won't be seeing her for some time??


I collected the mail from the Post Office a few days ago, and this is what I received from Miss Bridie. These are the good parts of modern technology, being able to keep in touch from a distance.


I have managed to get through a few customer quilts this week, and I will post photos in due course. The bookwork is still spread out on the table as I add figures and get up to date for a visit to the accountant.

Of course, the situation in our country, and indeed in our world has everyone's attention at the moment. It can be quite depressing reading the news, watching the TV and even checking facebook. But occasionally there is something for us to laugh at, which lightens the mood. These are a couple of the funniest things I have seen recently, so hope you get a laugh too. (In reality, those dryers actually point downward, so perhaps you might like to conjure that picture in your mind!!)



Of course there is a lot more to say about this situation, and I have a lot of thoughts going around in my head, but suddenly I feel too tired to put these onto "paper", so will come back tomorrow for that.

It was lovely to receive a visit from my cousin and her husband this afternoon. They are travelling around in their caravan, and live in New South Wales. I had not seen Kathy for a few years.

Be back soon,

Blessings, From Jude

3 comments:

Susan Smith said...

Quilts look good & I'm finding it hard to get motivated with all that is happening, but I'm still trying to do bits'n'bobs. I love your 2 clips. Will I be able to eat iceberg lettuce in future. I also posted something funny from an email I got this morning. Stay safe and take care.

Raylene Edwards said...

The quilt you made for your good friend looks wonderful on the bed. I’m sure it will brighten his heart. Those pretty flowers have had a struggle, just as we are now, but look how well they’ve bloomed. 🌻

Sue SA said...

LOL so glad we are not going to run out of toilet paper, because I don't have that level of flexibility and all I have left in the veggie garden is zucchinis - no lettuce!
Stay home, stay safe and see you when they reopen the borders!