Saturday 28 March 2020

A Bit of this, and a bit of that..............

While scrolling through the photo files to see what I could use for the blog, I came upon these of a recent sewing session. The President of our group was scheduled for some major surgery, and the committee thought it an idea to make a quilt for her. That's what quilters do isn't it? A couple of the girls chose the fabrics, and a design of Friendship stars was deemed to be appropriate. The fabrics were scanned into EQ8 and hey presto the measurements were all worked out. The fabrics were all cut and machines set up ready for an evening of stitching. They commenced sewing at 5pm and by 9.30pm that evening the top was done.




Next morning I loaded it onto Max, and quilted with an allover pattern of needles, thread and cotton reels.



Many members of the group wrote get well messages and signed the back of the quilt, and it has now been given to the recipient. Many hands make light work, and we had an enjoyable evening working together, and hope the quilt will help in recovery.

I found a few customer quilt photos in the files, and the first was made by Linda, for her grandson. The fabric had construction vehicles on it, so a construction allover pattern was chosen.





Francine is a new quilter, and has been bitten by the bug of starting another quilt, before she has finished the one already started. Don't most of us know about this?? This simple pattern that showcases the fabrics, was quilted allover with Whatever.



Helen made this triangle quilt, with Japanese fabrics, and it was quilted allover with Buzzing Bees.



Suzie made this as a wedding gift, using a fantastic mixture of her scraps. It was quilted allover with Modern Waves. It's a pity that due to the virus, this wedding has been cancelled to a later date.



Just a quick glimpse of part of this amazing quilt, with more photos to come later.


This small quilt was made by Erica and quilted allover with Clouds.


This was loaded onto Max early in the week, and is still waiting. It will be edge to edge, with separate border.

I did a stocktake of the contents of my freezer this week. I usually keep good supplies ready for catering for retreats. It seems like that won't be happening for some time now, so I cooked up some ready to heat meals, to take to my 91 year old neighbour.


Hand sanitiser has been unavailable for some weeks now, and I knew I had some in my house somewhere!! Have been searching in all the likely places with no luck, but when I opened the oddments drawer of my desk this week, look what I spied!!


I received a large offer of cash for this bottle a few days ago, but I said no, it was more valuable than gold! (It is also well travelled as it journey around the USA with me 2 years ago).


The Quilters Guild of SA announced recently that they were having an online Mystery quilt, and so I didn't have a case of FOMO, I decided to join in. This is the sewing day you have, when you can't meet face to face. It is lots of fun to see the fabrics chosen that members are posting photos of. Of course, I am running late as they had already released Part 1 and Part 2 came out yesterday. I should have used scraps as there are plenty, but I couldn't make up my mind, and finally decided that to save time I would just use 3 fabrics, and these were still on the table from when they were delivered last week.


Last night, I got "stuff" out ready for a start today. As I wasn't using scraps, I could cheat and use the Go Cutter to cut strips, instead of 144 little squares of lots of fabrics. I purchased this machine 20 months ago, and it has not had much use yet. It is much heavier that the Pfaff I have been using, so when I do sew, it was easier to use the older, lighter machine. Due to the current circumstances that  noone is coming into my house to sew at these tables for some time to come, it means that I can set up the machine and it doesn't need to be put away for now. So time to bond I thought.


About lunch time today, I was having second thoughts about my choice of a fabrics, and decided to choose a "less busy"yellow. There seemed to be too many "circles" in the photo above.


So, take 2, and my strips are cut and instructions out.


But wait, how do I wind the bobbin? Long time since I did use this. Need to find the manual! Were was it? Thought it was under the seat of my Horn chairs, and looked to no avail. So then I went on a hunt everywhere I could think of that the manual might be. I might have tried to work it out without it, but there were other settings I had forgotten too. (Is there a pattern happening of too much time spent looking for things lately??)

Ta Daa....... I found it! I checked in under the seats of the chairs again, and found one chair I had not looked in!! So 30 minutes later I was able to wind bobbins, and begin.


Some 4 patches happening, all still connected, so out came my Gizmo.


And after an afternoon sewing here is Step 1 and Step 2, and waiting for the next lot of instruction some time this week. There was about 450 members of this group last time I checked, and it's fun to see that they are from allover, local, interstate, and even overseas. Such a variety of fabrics being used, so it will be great to see the quilts come together. I have enjoyed my afternoon of sewing and getting to know my machine.


That's enough newsfromjude for this post. I will be back soon with some more news of this week's happenings.

Blessings, From Jude

2 comments:

Sue SA said...

LOL I joined the sew along group too Judy, but not as yet done one of the steps. I dont seem to find the motivation. Such a good idea though to keep everyone entertained. I am sure we will all have lounge rooms full of quilts needing quilting when this is all over!

Raylene Edwards said...

You have certainly kept yourself busy during this enforced self isolation time. It appears to have the benefit of allowing us to slow down ( that’s more me than you) & ‘Smell the Roses ‘ 🌹