Thursday 9 May 2019

A bit of this and a bit of that........................

My apologies for the delay in communication. I can't believe so many days have elapsed since I last posted. I did think about it a couple of days ago, and briefly wondered if anyone had missed me! I have been "on a mission" this week, so not a lot to talk about. Obviously there are some who have missed me, as I had a text message yesterday, from someone hoping things were ok. And today I received a phone call from my Mum. So tonight I am sitting by the warm toasty fire, instead of in my office, and thought I better check in with the newsfromjude.

The weather has been so COLD today, and even with the wood fire burning in the lounge area and the reverse cycle on in my work room, I have been cold. I had to resort to putting a small quilt over my knees while I was sitting at the desk this afternoon. I suppose if I had been moving around and being active, I would not have been so cold. But then again, I am always cold when everyone else isn't. But after saying that, I don't think the temperature got much past 12 deg today. It was supposed to be very wet, and stormy, but once again, I think that the rain has passed us by.  (We did get 2ml today though!) I do love my combustion heater, but it is so tempting to sit beside it, instead of being out in the office working.


I do admit to sitting here one day last week and actually reading a book with the feet up. In between all the other "stuff" I have been fighting off a yucky sinus complaint, so trying to get the balance a bit. I am booked for my flu injection next week, and there are so many others that have gone down with illness of some sort. I had intended to head to the city for a meeting and visit family on the way home last week, but decided to stay put and not risk passing anything on. I did visit the duty doctor while I am waiting for my appointment with the GP. I had also intended going to visit my mother this Sunday for Mother's day, but think it best to stay home. (Perhaps I could get used to this, after so many road trips early this year??!)


Now, after all that, just what is the newsfromjude for the last 11 days or so?
This has been my view for all of this week. Max is sitting idle, while I concentrate on designing, cutting, packing and writing instructions for the Mystery quilts that are going into the little cases. I have 2 retreats coming up in June, so the pressure is on.


These are all done, checked and ready. There is another little pile waiting for my checking fairy to come. And a few more in progress, and hopefully all will be ready by June.


And you might notice in this photo, of the baskets of fabric that are waiting in the wings!! But there is more, on the shelves behind Max, so I doubt I will run out of fabric choices anytime soon. But I do love the challenge of collecting a range of fabrics and working out what to do with them. I love EQ for designing and scan the fabrics, so I can see how they will all play with each other, and all before I even pick up the rotary cutter! (And did I mention that their just might be more fabric in the Post system on it's way to me??)


Although I have not ventured far recently, I did attend our local group's luncheon last Sunday. Each year we have a lunch once a year, to celebrate those members who have an "0" special birthday during the year. These 3 ladies all have a special birthday this year, although they do range from February to November, so one is getting an early celebration.


This lunch was also a special occasion as we said farewell to one of our long serving members, who is leaving the district very soon. Our loss will be another groups gain, and we are all very sad. Pat has served in many committee positions, as well as being our President for a few years. Of course, how do quilters express their thoughts for someone? They make a quilt, and 41 members all embellished a simple block in their own way. We also presented Pat with Honorary Membership and here is current President Pat G, doing the presentation to Past President Pat M!



 There was lively interest from the members to see how the quilt turned out, and Pat was pleased to see the messages and names written on each block.


I was surprised to see this announcement on the QGSA facebook page last week, and have since received a phonecall from the President to inform me of my award.. Apparently it is 10 years since I have joined the Appraisal Panel and more recently the Judging Panel. They are both voluntary postitions that I enjoy attending.


I think I started out my post by saying I did not have a lot to talk about, so perhaps I have said enough and it's time to finish off!!

Well, time to put more wood on the fire, and head to bed, ready for another day of cutting and writing tomorrow. I have given myself this week to devote to the cases, and Max will be back in action on Monday.

Stay warm if you are in Southern Australia, 

Blessings, From Jude


8 comments:

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

You are always missed when you don't post; but we are patient and know that you're up to something fun and it's always worth the wait-- fear not! I, too, am always cold-- it's in my nature. I absolutely love summer and warm temps., if I had my choice I
would never have air conditioning, I simply detest cold air blowing on me-- my husband just laughs when I say that! I think your fire looks quite inviting. Your little stacked cases for the mystery are just precious, what fun to attend one of your workshops!! Congrats on your much deserved award for volunteer service!

Sue SA said...

So sorry you didnt get much rain, especially when it was so cold! I dont know how much we had exactly but it was a decent drop, just didnt start raining until mid afternoon in time for school pick up and the supermarket dash...to make life more interesting! So impressed with the amount of kits you cut, you do well to achieve so much. So pleased you have had one days rest with a book.

Raylene Edwards said...

You do so much behind the scenes to make the Mystery Reatreats the success they are. I also know the pleasure you enjoy designing, choosing the wonderful fabrics ( not so much the writing up of instructions) to pop into those cute little cases. Then the bonus of feet up by the fire for a job well done ๐Ÿ”ฅ

Michele Hill said...

Congratulations on your well deserved award Jude xx And yes it has been so very cold hasn't it? A sudden snap of Winter! We have been so lucky as we've had 72mm since last Wednesday!! Our gauge had just over 10mm this morning and that was Wed/ Thurs rain as it was too wet to check yesterday morning....in fact our verandah burst a leak where it meets the corner of the house! Larry has had a bad throat and an awful cough for over 3 weeks and I've been dreading catching it but I have niggles it might be brewing and I have a tour starting on Sunday with 24 on board. So no sniffles and no rain just for next week will be good. Take care and get well soon....big hugs (Love the quilt for Pat especially the border! Is she coming up to Adelaide?) xx

Maxine S said...

Dot and I really enjoyed our time at Uluru where it was beautifully warm so now that we are back in Adelaide it seems even cooler than it really is! I kept watching for an report from you for a glimpse of Kaffe on Max but no go so I’m trying to be patient and waiting to see what magic you’ve come up with this time! Stay warm and hurry up and get rid of those sniffles!

Jean McGee said...

Congratulations on your award Judy, well deserved Iam sure. Enjoy the lovely fire rugged up in slippers and pj's, so cosy and warm, it doesn't take long for the weather to cool down once summer is over. Lots of work getting ready for the mystery quilt retreats but enjoyed by the girls who attend. Take care and keep warm, love from Jean ๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€

Susan Smith said...

Congrats on your award & my you've certainly had a busy week. Pat moving away? Very little rain here either, but just dark & murky skies with no warmth, so cold here too.
I'd love to have a log burner, but alas we can't work out where we could put it, so enjoy yours for me too. Have a lovely weekend & take care.

Chookyblue...... said...

Congrats on your service...... We all need to do somethin ..... Looking forward to seeing what's going to be in those boxes..... I love mine...