Sunday 3 February 2019

Summing up the week just gone...........

Well, it's Sunday afternoon again, so must be time for an update of newsfromjude. I really had to stop and think about what has happened this week, that I could report on. Once I go back to the photo files, I usually find some info.

Just as well I do take some snaps, otherwise I might never remember what I have been doing. I do photograph all the quilts "before they go out the door", so that keeps me up to date. And I thank my family who post photos on facebook of some of their life so I "borrow" those.

So this report is a little bit of this and a little bit of that. I will save quilt photos for another post, and can report that I have managed to get through a few of those. I had intended to catch up on the custom quilts in January, and can say that I have almost achieved this.

In the last post I mentioned our foray into string piecing last weekend, and I can tell you that I spent time with my sewing machine "after hours" a couple of nights this week, and have finished the quilt. Well, except for the quilting of course! It sure feels great to reduce the scraps in my drawers.


Val came back one morning and sewed her borders on. 


I did hear from one lady in the city that she was plodding away with her strings. It was taking her too long, because she was trying to do "matchy, matchy", so I told her not to look and just sew them on. It was a scrap quilt, not a show piece. But I do know how hard it is to just pick up any strip and sew, and lots of people have a struggle with scrap quilts. And some people just cannot cope with the mess,........

 ..........so here's hoping that now she feels more organised and can just pull the strip from the box and sew, that there might be a finish soon??

Everywhere I go in "blogland", I see people sewing strings, and there are some great ideas out there. I could use my scraps for the rest of my days and sew these quilts?? (In my spare time, you know!?)

I am so "over" this hot weather, and glad I haven't had to go up the highway for awhile now. It is a job trying to keep the garden watered, and usually this is early mornings for me. Today was almost 41deg, and I have kept inside since I got home from church. I felt so drained and tired out watering this morning, that I almost decided to stay home from church. But about 15 minutes before the start time, I found myself in my bedroom changing my clothes and going to church. At least it was cool in church, and I am glad I went.

While I am talking about gardens, I do have a couple of photos. There is one bright corner that is not heat affected, and that's my zinnias. They are just outside the window of the bedroom that Val was sleeping in last weekend. And they were quite visible while sitting at the kitchen table, if her door was open. There is just one marigold in amongst the zinnias, and Val laughingly said of the marigold, "Do you think anyone might notice me down here?"... See the bottom right of the picture.



And this week there is another bright spot further along the fence, with the sunflowers blooming.


The bees are out in force on the flowers.


And even though I am moaning about the job of watering, I have been rewarded with the pretty flowers, from above, and a nice pick of vegies from the garden also. The tomatoes are a bit disappointing, but are supplying me with more than enough for me to eat. I am thinning the carrots, and cooking the small ones, which are yummo. I had not intended to pick the butternut yet, but this one was cracked, perhaps from the heat?? And it cooked up lovely for lunch today. (I did have one person comment about the time it took, and the cost of the water involved in growing vegetables, and I don't really want to add all this up. I do know that I enjoy being able to pick the produce, and know exactly where it comes from, as well as the amazing taste of home grown).


.................................Today's lunch was delicious.


 This book arrived last week, and is the second part of 2018, and about 300 pages! I wonder who might be on the front cover of the next book? I have quite a library of newsfromjude now, as I have been writing my blog since July 2011.


I have had a "spare" weekend, and while it has been hot, it's been a good opportunity to stay inside by the air con, and I have been studying. Another one of those "gunna do" jobs. It is a while now since EQ (Electric Quilt) upgraded their software. I started with EQ6 and then moved to EQ7, and use it constantly when I am designing the quilts for the Pick a Case Mystery Retreats. When I went to the US last April (is is really that long ago??) I purchased the upgrade for EQ8, and a couple of the books, and added them to my luggage to bring back home. They have been patiently waiting for some action from me, and ta daa..... it finally happened this weekend! I have been working my way through the lessons in this book to learn what it can do. I knew I needed to do this before I started working on the next lot of quilts ready for this year's mystery retreats. All I can say, is why did I wait so long? I am excited about using this programme, and am impressed about what it can do. I am ready to start scanning the collection of fabrics that I have waiting in the wings!


Schools have commenced their new year again this week, and most activities have resumed. Our KYB (Know your bible) group reconvened this week, and we are studying Genesis, and Abraham, so we are in for some history lessons. Our numbers have increased and 8 gather here once a week to share and learn.

I do have some family photos for you, some have been sent to me, and some borrowed from facebook, so thankyou.

DD1 and girls went on a cruise last week, to Noumea and other islands. They have some lovely photos and looked like they had a great time.



 DD2 and family went "cruising" in their vintage car. Did I say vintage? I used to drive around in one of these, does that mean I am vintage??



There was also some "cruising" around on their Harley, and doesn't this "little" guy look so grown up now. When did he suddenly get so tall? (And I don't mean his dad who is sitting on the bike!)


Of course there has to be a photo of this little man, who is one month old already. He looks so different each time I see a photo. And I am looking forward to a visit next weekend.


His big sister looks very proud doesn't she?


And let's not forget Miss Billie, who is getting so tall also. She is 11 months old now, and stands by herself, but not walking yet, and has just got her first tooth! Can't hurry these things, can we?


Although that's not everyone in the family in this post, I have covered quite a few, so hope i haven't bored you all.

It's time to get back to that lesson book and finish it before bedtime tonight. Tomorrow is the start of another week, hopefully with a few cooler?? days. It is the start day for our patchwork group tomorrow and a committee meeting in the afternoon, to start planning this year's exhibition. Hopefully during the week we will see Max finish some more quilts, and then there is another trip up the highway on Friday.

Be back soon,
Blessings, From Jude

5 comments:

Sue SA said...

Cost of gardening:water, plants etc is offset by asthetics of a beautiful garden (and value of your home), improved air quality, help sustain bee population (saving the planet) and improved mental health as all gardeners know it is great therapy, otherwise we would all be having to learn meditation or take yoga classes!

Raylene Edwards said...

Sewing Strings was a challenge - but the Grab & Go method is working. Thanks for the tip! Extreme conditions for you garden, good to see some survive & thrive. Beautiful family photos, how quickly the children grow. ๐ŸŒป๐ŸŒป๐ŸŒป

Susan Smith said...

That was some week & I'm with you on the "so over hot weather". I'm 'knackered' as the pommes say. Vintage cars & bikes also feature in this family too. I've not done anything with strings lately but did comment to my friend Jayne that I've a big basket of leftover bindings. Lovely family photos & aren't those little ones growing! Ah, EQ8! I'm still coming to grips with EQ6. Maybe you should do a retreat for users of EQ, as I'm in a bit of a rut & still love my Quilt Wizard & graph paper(giggle). Should be cooler this week. Take care.

Susan said...

What a lovely post! I love your garden - flowers and produce both, how lovely to eat right out of the fresh picked produce! The string quilts look terrific - I'm a scrappy person myself. I love the look of them, some more than others, but it all works. I almost never do not-scrappy. I'm curious about where you get your blog books published. I used to do that, or at least get a .pdf, but the source I used doesn't do it any more.

Jean McGee said...

your garden is lovely Judy, don't worry about the cost of water, the plants benefit our environment more and give us lots of pleasure. The children are all growing fast and look pretty happy,
Take care, love from Jean ๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€