Thursday 30 December 2021

Stitching time, Boxing day and customer quilt catchup.....................

STITCHING TIME

 Just a quick update of newsfromjude about the last week's happenings. Since the last post I have spent a lot of time bonding with my machine, both my Pfaff and with Max. I posted about the crumb quilt and that I was not happy with the 'disappearing' corners. After prompting by 2 friends and then remembering these stars that were already fused to vliesofix, my problem was quickly solved. Raylene also remembered these stars, as she knows where everything is filed away in this room! So out they came to be auditioned, .......


..........and they filled those 'disappearing' corners in nicely didn't they??


It did cross my mind that it might be time to clean out in the workings of my machine. And lo and behold, look what I found!!


I was trying to use up scraps and so pulled out the remaining strips in the 1 1/2" and 2" drawers, where my fairy had diligently sorted them all into colours for me. 


I set about strip piecing them with 5 strips, a 2" either side and in the centre and the 1 1/2" in between. I did not colour co-ordinate and just pulled them at random. My plan was to tie them all together with a cream TOT either side of these units.


Out came the Go cutter and I had heaps of strips in no time!


After sewing them either side of the units, I cut them into 9" units as shown, and planned to alternate the blocks like this.


I had a few smaller sections left and cut these into 2 1/2" units to use in the border as shown below. Then it was decision time as to what colour to use for a border both sides of the pieced one........ 


                                        ......and this is the Ta Daa moment!


The quilter decided that perhaps it was time to get to some of her own in the queue, and this week I have quilted the above plus a couple others that were waiting in the wings!! Now all are ready for a binding fairy or two? And then they will be donated with others that are waiting to go.



BOXING DAY

Christmas Day was very quiet here and spent with my machine because we had our family gathering early in December. The day after Christmas (Boxing Day) is traditionally when my extended family get together and there is usually about 40 of us. That made things a bit difficult as the restriction of home gatherings was for 30 people. A decision was made to go to the local footy oval, which was a great venue, plenty of space and room for a game of cricket on the oval. Numbers ended up being less than 30 as one of the families were in isolation from being close contacts of a covid case.

 Here is Mum giving out her presents to the great grandies!



One of the family has a drone and used it for a group photo.


CUSTOMER QUILTS

I'll finish off this post with the recent customer quilting that I have done, just so they appear in this year's blog book and I can start fresh in 2022. 

This was made by Linda for her granddaughter and was quilted allover with Ocean Froth.


This is the chosen backing fabric and could be used this way up as well. A stunning piece in just the right colours!


                            This cute little baby's quilt was made by Jenny and quilted allover.


Another quilt made by Jenny featuring the Mariner's compass blocks and this was custom quilted.





This is Lyn's 365 quilt in browns, and was quilted allover with a meander.


There are some very tiny pieces in this quilt!


A very striking quilt made by Sherrel and this was also custom quilted.




I do have another quilt on Max, full of applique and needs to be custom quilted, but it won't be finished this year! 😁 

That's all for now. I'll be back before the end of the year with a 2021 summary. 

Blessings, From Jude



6 comments:

Raylene Edwards said...

You have definitely had your Sewing Fix & the result is a large amount of “Quilts for Others”. A happy occasion to celebrate Boxing Day that included the traditional family cricket match. Good to see customer quilts have had their time with Max, terrific results. ✅

Susan Smith said...

Well done on your quilting and the customer quilting. Lovely to be able to spend some time with at least part of the extended family for Christmas. Ours was just the 2 of us & now wondering what 2022 will bring. More confusion for sure. Take care & hugs.

Janice said...

A great finale to 2021. Wishing you a very Happy New Year.

Chookyblue...... said...

lucky the fairy knows where everything is.......I think she may need some respite so need to get back to you very soon....those scraps made a lovely quilt.......glad you ahve got some of your own quilted.....
great idea to change the venue and have more space for boxing day........
beautiful quilts once again.........i love seeing them......

Vicki W said...

You have been so incredibly productive! I love that string scrap quilt. The cream strips pull the whole design together.

dq said...

The stars in the corners was so perfect indeed!
I cannot believe how many quilts you quilted in a week's time - wowee!!

Look at those attentive little great grands sitting respectfully on the floor at her feet - adorable! Are they all yours or just all of hers.

The quilting you did on the Mariner's Compass is absolutely stunning as is the one made by Sherrel. Such beautiful work as always!