Wednesday 5 May 2021

Festival of Quilts ....

It was a very exciting weekend here in South Australia when the Quilters Guild of SA held their annual quilt show. Well, it is normally every year, but we all know what happened to 2020, so it was more special to be able to gather again. (There are still certain restrictions in place, and Covid Marshalls were present to make sure we abided by these.) While I did not enter any of my own quilts this year, there were 14 of my customers quilts entered in the 2 person categories. It was an amazing display of quilts in a wide variety of styles. As well as being able to walk around and look at all the quilts, it was also an opportunity to meet up with many that we had not seen for more than a year, so there was a real buzz in the air. 

Pat and I left Bordertown before 6am on Friday morning to attend the presentation ceremony, pictured below.


It was very exciting be awarded these ribbons, for the quilting of 3 customer quilts.


Jill received a 3rd for her quilt, Celebrating Mary Brown that was entered into the Mainly Applique, 2 persons section. This was extra special because Jill is a first time entrant.



We were still admiring our green ribbon when our names were called out again, this time a blue ribbon for her quilt in the Pieced and Applique, 2 person category.



My next walk to the front was with Pat for her 2nd prize ribbon in the Mixed Techniques, 2 person category.



Pat has embroidered Michele Hill's William Morris applique patterns.


Not all quilts can be ribbon winners, but the real prize is seeing your quilt hanging in an exhibition and Robyns quilt below was another one that I have quilted. 


Robyn's label named the quilt "Judy and Michele are the Stars". This is another of Michelle Hill's patterns, and I think Robyn is also a star with the amazing hand applique on the quilt.



We met up with Raylene (aka the fairy) at the show and all enjoyed a cuppa during the day.


The following quilts are a few more customer quilts that I have quilted and all looked good hanging in the show. You will have seen these posted on my blog in recent months.








Awhile ago I reported on the visit to Bordertown by these 3 fun ladies from the QGSA. They all had quilts entered into the show and I have their permission to post photos. It was so good to meet up again. The Exhibition committee put in a lot of hard work to hold a quilt show.


This Scrappy Mystery was entered by Jane and received a blue ribbon in it's category. Jane quilted this herself and I hope you can see her amazing work in the pictures.




I love this quilt of Cindy's, made with the selvedges of the fabrics. What an amazing collection of fabric most of us put in the bin, and how good does the black look against them? Perhaps I should rethink throwing them away?




Here is another quilt made by Cindy, and how great is this? I had a little play with those tiny bits of my own last month, but still have a collection and this gives me another idea.



And I hope you can read this label and yes, it does look like an aerial view of suburbia! I love the "wonkiness" of the blocks and the quilting is just right.


Here is another one of Cindy's quilts. We had a sneak preview of this one in Bordertown.



This is Chris' Jen Kingwell designed Gypsy Wife quilt, and quilted by herself. I have seen a few of these quilts out there on the internet and looking at how they are quilted as there is one in my customer queue.


This is Elaine, a friend who has been to Bordertown quite a few times over the last few years for retreats. She has a Statler machine like mine so we often consult each other about quilts we are doing, or issues with our machines. She was also a winner with a customer quilt.


How great are the colours in this? And simply quilted with an allover pattern which works really well.


                         Raylene and I were "conned" into posing with this frame for a photo, 
                           which appeared on the Guild's facebook page.


This was another great quilt, made by Dionne who also has been to Bordertown for a few retreats. It was great to also catch up and chat with her after a long time.


How fantastic do these seahorses look in a Storm at Sea quilt?


This quilt, Blooming Delightful, was made by Rachelle Denneny and was Runner up to Best of Show. I love her rainbow of colours and the quilting was just amazing! 



There were so many more amazing quilts on show and I did take a lot more photos, but these are the only ones I have permission to post. I hope you enjoyed just a snippet of our South Australian quilt show and we hope that there will be more exhibitions coming in the future as hopefully life can return to a new sort of normality. Our local group are in the planning stages now for our Biennial show to come in October this year. 

Hope your day is a good one, mine will be spent with Max as I work through some allover quilting. As our show is coming up in about 21 weeks, I need to seriously spend some time with Max. Well, after the market preparation that is! 

I will be back soon with another post of another journey up the highway that I did last Sunday.

Blessings, From Jude

9 comments:

Linda Steele said...

Great to catch up with you at the show, although briefly. What a magnificent display of quilts, the SA quilters should be really proud of themselves. I could hardly believe that I was at a quilt show and seeing so many people and shops! Hopefully, it will be able to happen here in Victoria later in the year.

Karen's Korner said...

Congratulations on your ribbons....well deserved.

Susan Smith said...

Wow, a quilt show! Beautiful quilts & a nice catch up with some lovely friends. I wonder if I'll ever get to another show? Well done on the prize front. Thanks for sharing, take care and hugs.

ButterZ said...

There were so many beautiful quilts on show. How lovely that you could see them. A few ladies went from Mildura too.

Raylene Edwards said...

There was a great diversity of quilts on show, all made lovingly by extremely talented quilters. Judges must have great difficulty in selecting the quilts to receive ribbons. What a thrill for the ladies that are rewarded. Thank you Judy for your company, I learnt a lot 🪡🧵✂️

Chookyblue...... said...

Thanks for sharing all the pics.... Congrats on the prizes well deserved.....
Quilt displays are always so inspiring.......

kiwikid said...

Congratulations on your ribbons, wonderful to see. Thanks to for sharing the quilt photos so many beautiful quilts, I love the sea horses.

Joy from Days Filled With Joy said...

Wow, a show! I don't think we are having them yet here in Vic... congrats to all the winners and so many lovely quilts... thanks for sharing! xx

Raewyn said...

It looks and sounds like a fabulous day. Congratulations to you all on your achievements! (And thank you for some lovely back-reading too - I've had a nice time catching up on all your happenings!)