Monday 22 March 2021

FOMO.................and family

 Not that long ago, I had no idea what FOMO even meant, but was educated by my son, into "modern" lingo. When I was talking about not being able to attend an event, he said I had FOMO! Apparently it means Fear of missing out! I had titled this post as FOMO, but perhaps MO should be more apt, as there is more sadness than fear. Perhaps I shall start a new one, SAMO?? Sad about missing out?

Last week my uncle, (mum's sister's husband) passed away at the grand old age of 98 years! Mum's siblings have always been close (10 of them) and have spent a lot of time together over the years. 

There are some great memories of time with Uncle Fred, and I and many others especially remember his sense of humor. He was one of those people who could "put one over you" with such a straight face, you weren't sure if you should believe him or not. The one occasion that really stands out was a visit to their house in our early married life, and afternoon tea was served. There was a really good looking plate of lamingtons on the table, and hubby picked one out to eat. The only problem was, it was hard to bite into, and he didn't want to offend Uncle Fred who had proudly claimed to have made them. As it turned out, the chosen lamington was made using a piece of foam rubber, and not cake!! Many other family members have also been fooled over the years, and it was much talked about at his funeral.

The funeral was held on Thursday, and I was unable to attend, but was very thankful that I was able to "be there" by watching the video online. It was almost as good, and I guess being able to share in a funeral online would be one of the positives that have come out of the Covid virus situation.

He was also well known for his gardening skills, growing vegetables and flowers, keeping bees, fruit trees etc in his large back yard, which he still spent time in until he was 97 years old.  It is a bit hard to see in the photo, but the backdrop pic at the funeral was his display of cyclamens at a show. This was interesting to me, as I have recently been gifted with 4 cyclamens in pots, and I have never grown these before, and I am sure he could have given me some advice.

While funerals are sad, they are also special catchup times with rellies that you don't see often. My brother who lives a few hours to the west of our state attended, which meant that I missed seeing him too. There are 45 cousins on mum's side of the family, and 2 of those from other states were down for the funeral. While a lot of family were gathered, an afternoon tea was held at Mum's place yesterday for all those who could attend, so this meant another gathering that I missed out on.

Out of the 10 children of Mum's generation there are 5 remaining , although one brother, who is 94, lives in Queensland. Here is Mum and 2 of her sisters and one brother, taken yesterday.

I phoned mum last night, and she had enjoyed the catchup, with people coming and going throughout the afternoon. This pic includes some of the cousins. 


While we are on the subject of family, I shall post some photos that I have just "borrowed" from their facebook pages of my family members.

DD2 and family have recently purchased a holiday house and spend many weekends there. They have a boat and enjoy a bit of fishing and "eating out".


A nice family pic of Miss Billie and family at her recent birthday.


DD1 and my sister enjoyed a catchup with their daughters recently.


                                DD1 and Mr 11 years old enjoyed some time together last weekend.


My apologies to my DIL who had a special birthday last Friday, that I have not blogged about. 
She reached the grand age of 30, and Miss Bridie proudly helped DS make the cake.


Sorry the pic is a bit blurry, but you get the idea!  Mr Tate loves the candles.


There is another family event happening on Friday this week, with the wedding of my nephew which is being held on Kangaroo Island. Once again with thanks to modern technology I will be able to almost be there. And KI is a part of this state that I have never been too.

I shall probably have a lot more FOMO (or SAMO?) in the next few weeks, as I am confined to being indoors for awhile yet. The reason being that I am using some cream on my face that doesn't allow me to be outside in the sun, so it is early mornings to be out watering the garden. I stayed home from church yesterday, and will for a few more Sundays to come yet. Thankfully I can listen to the messages online, so I am not missing out completely. One lady, who shall remain nameless, said I need to have one of those hats with a net that comes down, or a paper bag with holes cut for my eyes!!??

I have spent the last week catching up with the bookwork, which had not been done since last July. (I always seem to be playing catchup, don't I?) But I am happy to say I am now up to date.
My next task is to get back to sorting, cutting, stacking and packing. I have a fair amount of fabric to move, and there is a market day coming up soon that I will be attending.


I do have some more customer quilt photos to show, so will be back with a post of this soon. Max has another couple of quilts ready to do today, and there are some hanging so they will talk to me.

Now that I have updated you with newsfromjude, it's probably time I got started with my tasks for today, as the weekend has finished and it's Monday, again! Where are the weeks going? 

Blessings, From Jude







6 comments:

Joy from Days Filled With Joy said...

Sorry for your loss, lovely memories of your uncle Fred... and lovely family pics. I can guess WHO suggested the face covering.. might I assist with an authentic one from Arabia ?! Hope you get to go out again soon xx

Maria said...

Sorry for the loss of your dear Uncle but you have many great memories to treasure..
Fabulous family photos...
Hope you face heals soon and one good thing all your books are now done....

Susan Smith said...

Sad about your Uncle, but he sure made it to a good age. Lovely to see a post & catch up with some of your news. Ah so that is what FOMO means & it's not the missing out, but the FEAR of life in general these days in such a scary world. Take care & look forward to seeing some quilty news too in the future.

kiwikid said...

Sorry to hear for your loss Jude, your Uncle Fred sounded like a wonderful man.
Wonderful family photos. Hope the cream works well a day your face is as good a new soon.

Raylene Edwards said...

It appears Uncle Fred had a zest for life, his smile reflects that. Memories last forever. Good to see catch up photos of your family, especially young ones with the look of wonder on their faces. I have just the thing for your poor face 🎭, but you may prefer Joys suggestion 😉

Susan said...

A sad time losing a relative - but what a grand old age and lovely memories to treasure!
I've been fortunate and never had to do that cream - I think I'd be hiding inside.