Friday 12 November 2021

Up the highway once again..........

 I have just noticed that I had not published this post earlier. It has been sitting in the saved files, and I guess it's better late than never!!

The biennial SA Quilters Guild Country Forum day was held at the end of October and 4 from our group attended this day. It had been many months since I had driven to the city although I had done a couple of trips to Murray Bridge.

This was a day that Pat and I usually attended in the company of Marie, so I was almost tempted not to go this time. As it turned out Pat was unable to attend due to being a cross border member and unable to go outside the 70km bubble, so I was joined by 3 other Gum Tree Quilters members who had not been before. 

p

It turned out to be a great day out, with interesting speakers, goody bags, shops to tempt us and many demonstrations as well as great catering.  There were lucky prizes for us all which were eagerly picked out from the front.


SAQG President, Heather Ford opened the day and welcomed about 160 country quilters. The theme for the day was "Unmasking the Future".


We were introduced to different social media platforms and how to use these to benefit our quilting........ Cindy spoke on facebook............


Pip talked about Instagram............


Christine spoke about online platforms for meetings or classes to learn a new technique. These new ways of keeping in touch have been very beneficial in recent times when restrictions have kept us from meeting in person. Even quilt shows are now often held online!


                      Jill spoke about Pinterest and how to use this for our inspiration and saving ideas............


Suzanne Gummow, who is an Art quilter, was Guest Speaker and after outlining the origins and history of patchwork and quilting, to the here and now, talked about where we are going into the future?? She gave us a video clip of an amazing fashion parade where patchwork was the feature!! (Google "The Dolce and Gabbana Women's Spring Summer 2021")


It's a bit hard to see in the above photo that I took of the screen of the video, but I did find this image from the website, which is much clearer and you can see how they have used patchwork, not just in the clothing, but also the steps, catwalk and the backdrop!


            Here is an idea for your next jelly roll project!?? Our abundant stashes of fabric may come in useful to the younger generations after all???


It was a lovely day to catch up with quilters that we had not seen for some time and was so good to get out of our "bubbles" for just little while. Thankyou to the city girls who put this day on for us.


On the way out to the car after an inspiring day we noticed a glorious tree in full flower. It was not one we had seen before so I took a photo of the flowers.  Apparently it was a Bauhinia tree, which Mr Google tells me is also known as Hong Kong orchid. 


I am pleased that I did make the effort to go, even though it was bittersweet to be there without Marie. On the drive home we played some of Marie's favourite music in the car. The volume was turned right up and we sang along loudly!! 

*********

Looking at the time and I see it is almost 5pm, so perhaps it's time to leave this room, and find the book I am reading. I have managed to read a few in recent weeks. I'll be back soon with a newsfromjude update which will include the arrival of my fairy again. ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š

Blessings, From Jude





6 comments:

ButterZ said...

Wow those outfits are amazing. I can’t see me wearing them though

Maria said...

Great day out and what fantastic use of patchwork on the catwalks and models
That’s good use for a jelly roll ๐Ÿค”

kiwikid said...

Wonderful day out for you all and a great meeting. Interesting fashions on the models.

Raylene Edwards said...

Country Forum was a very enjoyable & interesting day which gave an opportunity for many country town quilting groups to catch up with old friends & meet new people with a love of quilting. ❤️

Joy from Days Filled With Joy said...

Looks like you had a great time - and so much inspiration! xx

Joy from Days Filled With Joy said...

PS I really wish you would share your fairy with me...... :p