Saturday 28 August 2021

Recent Custom quilting

 Time for a post of recent custom quilting. Another week has flown by, and I am trying not have a 3 week absence again. Yesterday's 'to do' list had 2 edge to edge quilts on it, and that did not happen, cos life took over once again. This morning I have done one of those and was going to try and make up the other this afternoon, but decided it could wait until Monday and I shall do some office jobs instead. There is always something to do at the desk, and because I am feeling a tad weary that seemed like a plan.

I shall start with a couple of my quilts to show you. First is "This Little Piggy", a Red Boot quilt company pattern. Last year I made the Paper Dolls quilt for Miss Bridie, and started this for Miss Billie. It has waited in the queue for my quilter, until she finally decided that it had better be done and gifted while Miss Billie was still young enough to think it was cute! I also had the motivation of getting my tops finished for our quilt show in October. 


I had intended to do a very quilt simple quilting job with this, but then went to Plan B and had a bit of fun instead. I have added extra details to the background quilting and hope she will have fun finding them all.



                  I quilted a girl standing on the left of the tree, and wrote her name on the dress.



Because the cow in the block above had a chicken appliqued to his head, I quilted a rooster on the head of the horse!


The sun is shining brightly in this block,  so the little pig has an umbrella!


I was having a video call with Miss Billie outside in the garden one day and I showed her all the bees on the flowers, and another day I videoed them all buzzing around. I have made a feature of bees on this quilt block......


...............and appliqued bees for the corner blocks of the quilt. (This was not in the original pattern).


I hope that it won't be long after our quilt show that the border will open enough for me to be able to give the quilt to her in person.

The binding has not been finished yet, but I have made a start on the hand stitching.


This is the quilt that I made using little scraps of fabric and reported on in my Easter post. I have ended up calling it "Out of Africa" and it has finally moved out of the quilting queue, has been bound and is now waiting for our show in October. Sorry I don't seem to have any closeup photos, but the block backgrounds have been quilted with a giraffe pattern and a zebra pattern alternately.


This quilt was made by Kaye and is a Sue Daley design, called "Round we go". I came up with a plan for the star blocks, but then had to think again as Kaye had left some of the background blocks empty, without the pieced stars in a circle.


Each circle was framed.



Some of the blocks had a dark background and I used a different frame pattern for these blocks.


I  did have a few options for these "empty" blocks, and after consultation with Kaye this was what I went with. A replica star in the circle pattern  in each block.



It has been awhile since the elephant left the building, so maybe it's time to show the pictures. This was made by Lyn and is a foundation paper pieced pattern Elephant Abstractions and designed by Violet Craft.


It was a bit hard to get good photos of the quilting as the days were dark and gloomy. I used a pattern set from Kim Diamond to quilt the elephant and found a leaf pattern for the background, hoping it looks like the elephant is coming towards you out of the jungle??





I was a bit confused with the fabrics used on the legs and talked to Lyn about this when she picked up the quilt. After looking at other photos of this quilt she could see what I meant.


Lyn went home, got her fabric pens out and did some recolouring on the legs and we both think the result is much better now.


That's about it for today. I will return soon with more customer allover quilting. It's now time to head to the lounge by the fire and read a book. The weather has been very cold again this week, but by the end of the week it is forecast to be close to 30deg!! Almost double what it's been for some of this week. Enjoy your weekend, and I am thinking of those who are in lockdown. Make the most of each day as it comes.

Blessings, From Jude 

12 comments:

ButterZ said...

Your quilting work is just wonderful. Billies quilt is very sweet. You have achieved quite a bit.
Yes it has been cold. We will be complying it’s too hot soon.

loulee said...

Love the custom quilting on the piggy quilt. So cute and the personal touch is always good.
You do get to work on some amazing quilts for your customers.

Janice said...

Gorgeous quilting on all of them. I particularly like the hidden little items in the piggy quilt.

Maria said...

Such gorgeous custom quilting on all the quilts.
Miss Billie will love searching for all the hidden things on her quilt.

Gail said...

Wonderful work, as usual-that Elephant is just amazing!

Susan Smith said...

You astound me each time with your beautiful custom quilting, something I'd love to be able to do. I'm the piggy quilt will be well loved if we ever get out of this never ending lockdown. Take care & hugs.

Raylene Edwards said...

The time you spend researching, planning, procrastinating & making a final decision certainly results in a fantastic finish for those stunning quilts. I’m glad you give the same service to your own made quilts, they deserve the best too. 👏

Chookyblue...... said...

Well another Buch or gorgeous custom quilting....... Love all the extras stitch in the quilt for more Billie.....

Dot said...

Jude, I just love Miss Billie’s quilt. I’m so glad you gave yourself the time to unleash your creativity and have fun with it!

kiwikid said...

Wonderful quilting Jude, love all the extra bits you have quilted into Billie's quilt. The elephant is stunning, the colouring of the fabric made a big difference.

Jean McGee said...

Billie's quilt is lovely and your quilting really shows up the applique she will love it especially looking for the surprises you've quilted into it. The weather has been cold but will start warming up soon. Take some to relax and keep,warm. 😀😀

Narelle said...

Oh my! Your quilting is just amazing.