Saturday 12 October 2019

Out and about in the sunshine............


Today was the day to take off one of those "hats" that I have been wearing and posted about earlier this week. I finally finished that quilt that I had been working on for tooo long. (Well, it's finished except for taking out the basting stitching that I did before I unzipped it from Max, to do other quilts. I love having the zippers on my leaders, so that I can take a quilt off and put it back on quickly if necessary.)

For the last couple of days, I have been inside working and looking out the glass window at the blue sky and sunshine. Except to pick the daily paper up from my front porch, I have not been out of the house for days. So I decided that I needed to be "out" in that spring sunshine for just one day, and it was well past time to visit with family. I phoned my mum to see if she would like a day out, and drove up the highway early this morning. 

It was just the best feeling to be out and about, and enjoying the signs of spring. The wattle flowers are out in full bloom in our district, and I would have loved to stop and take a picture, but borrowed one from the internet instead. I love the smell of the flowers, although I know some people think they are too strong. The wattle is Australia's national flower, and there are many varieties.


Our district is still lovely and green, and the natives are flowering, and I noticed a few bottlebrushes coming out. I should have one of these in my own garden very soon. There were paddocks of hay being cut, which has a lovely smell as well. As I drove further north, the countryside was drier and golden, until I arrived in the Barossa, where it was still quite green. Tis a land of many contrasts, and there is still much I have not seen. DD1 and family have recently journeyed to the centre of our country and here is a photo of them in front of a very Aussie landmark, Uluru, or Ayer's Rock as it was formerly known.


We enjoyed a lovely chat outside in the garden, listening to the local birds, and enjoying the many scents of spring flowers in the local gardens.


A visit here with DS and family and hasn't Mister Tate grown so quickly. 


A few months ago Miss Bridie entered a colouring competition for the Adelaide Zoo, and I posted some photos of her drawings back then. She was fortunate to win a Family Pass to the Zoo for her efforts, and this colouring book arrived in the post this week.

.
......... and what should appear on the top of the next page??...........


............but the picture that she drew! Perhaps we have an artist in the making?


So it was a lovely spring day out, and great to catch up with some of the family, and spend some car time with my mum. She is still adjusting to being on her own, now that Dad is in full time care. From being one of 10 children, to being married for 66 years, it is quite a change. Fortunately there are lots of family still living close, but it's not quite the same as someone always being there.

While I still have that loooong list of preparation to do before the quilt show, which is only days away now, a day out was just what was needed I think. And I am even managing to fit in another treat tomorrow, which I will tell you about another day.

Blessings, From Jude

1 comment:

Raylene Edwards said...

S.A.D. is Seasonal Affective Disorder which can explain why we feel low during gloomy days of winter. To hear you rejoice in sunny days, blue skies, flowers blooming & birds chirping plus a visit to family lifts all our spirits. 🌷🦜🌞